Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Heating and Fan Issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ZenZero

ZenZero

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:40 PM

A few weeks ago the desktop that I built about 3.5 years ago was having a lot of strange issues.  First of all, I was getting cpu fan failure error. Secondly, the pc was crashing due to blue screens. I replaced the fan to solve the first issue and after some google research I replaced the ram which solve the second.  The problems didn't stop there though. Something was causing my pc to use near 100% disk and cpu usage. I had to disable some background programs such as windowsearch and superfetch. That solved that but I never had that issue before with my pc.

However, I'm concerned with the high cpu fan rpm.  I was getting 48C temps and 1300 rpm cpu fan.  The second time I reinstalled the cpu cooler, which is a cooler master hyper 212 plus, I probably applied too much thermal paste so I reinstalled it for the third time. This time I was very careful with how much thermal paste I applied.  Temps improved to 45C but the fan is still at 1300rpm.  I'm watching the bios screen and the temps slowly go up from 30C to 45C in about 10 minutes. As I was installing the heatsink it did slide back and forth a little bit but only by a couple millimeters. And I did correct it.

What could be causing all these problems? Could it be a software or hardware problem? Have I somehow installed the cooler incorrectly? Is it just a coincidence they all occurred at the same time?  My antivirus program came up with nothing and malwarebytes found only a couple of pups.  I admit in all honesty I didn't do the best job building this pc but it did work for the past 3.5 years.

Further details:

Cooler master hyper 212 plus

Amd fx8350 8 core processor

Asus m5a97 le r2.0 motherboard

Edited by hamluis, 27 February 2017 - 05:38 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:06 AM

45C is not particularly warm, being a warm summer day in Saudi Arabia....

You can't really expect it to run at 22C.

Apply a very thin film of paste only, less is better, and use a quality paste, like Arctic Silver, etc...

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 ZenZero

ZenZero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:05 AM

Well I was hoping for 40C idle. The cpu fan rpm is what concerns me more.. For the thermal paste, I used masscool G751 thermal compound. It is one of the cheaper ones but has good reviews. Next time I will try artic silver or something equivalent. 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:13 AM

I have a FX8320 and, as noted above, 45 Celsius is not something to be concerned about.  I use the stock cooler with Arctic Silver.

The FX 8320 and 8350 are known to run slightly warmer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=FX8350+runs+hot&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

My system has seen temps in the 70s when rendering video, with no harm done, no alarms going off.  Based on my experience, I believe that some of the expectations/concerns that others express re temps...fall into the category of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Looking at your initial post...it seems to me that you have some issues which are not typical.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 March 2017 - 06:15 AM.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

I am running an older AMD Phenom 2 X4 940, mildly overclocked (runs 3.0MGhz, O/clocked to 3.5MHz) and my CPU heatsink fan normally runs 1700+ RPMs. My normal idle temperature is 47°C  and when under heavy load running video editing or graphics apps such as Gimp & Photoshop, can go as high as 70. And that is with liquid cooling, not air, which dropped my temp several degrees when installed. AMD processors always run warmer than Intel processors, it's just the nature of the beast. Great procs, though, I only build with AMD. I don't see anything to be concerned about.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:44 AM

Modern Intel processors run much warmer than AMD ones, because toothpaste under HS. Tomorrow difference is even bigger :devil:

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

I guess that's possible, it's been a while since I built a new unit.  I know it is true for the older procs.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users