Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Activation Issues

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dragooness

Dragooness

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:34 PM

This is a different problem, so a new topic!

I reinstalled Windows 7 onto a computer to repair a freezing error. The computer originally has a OEM Vista install and was upgraded to 7.

I backed up with Advanced token manager, no luck. I typed the key manually, and had no luck. There is no option to activate by phone and slui.exe 4 dose not correct it. I get error code 0xC004E003.

The error on the phone activation may be a firewall prolbem?

The key rejection I think may be a missing SLIC table I think it is? Somthing to do with BIOS.

Now I am not great with computers, so maybe its time to take it to the shop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:16 PM

Activation issues...are decided by no one other than MS or representatives of Microsoft.

What would be the purpose of taking it to a shop?

Louis

#3 Dragooness

Dragooness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:26 PM

I don't know, I really don't. I don't even get an option for any other way to activate, no matter what I do. I just thought someone knew some way to fix this, because if not I have a fancy paperweight.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:00 PM

Sorry you could not activate this computer. Have you tried use Advanced Token Manager in Safe Mode? If that fails the only thing I can recommend is to use a linux distro.

I would have to suspect your Windows 7 key was possibly not legit as when you used Ultimate PID checker it listed the key as SLIC. This is an OEM method for activation with a SLIC table in your BIOS but the original OS is VISTA so the SLIC table in your BIOS is for Vista and not Windows 7. 

It may be possible to install Vista but that is not optimal as it will no longer be supported after April of this year. 

One distro that may work better than what you initially downloaded is Mint Mate 17.2

Another is Ubuntu 16.04

ubuntu-16.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso

#5 Dragooness

Dragooness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:45 PM

So unless I can recover the Vista key (The sticker was removed) Linux is my option?

And don't apologise. The system is at least no longer freezing constantly!

Erm don't know that Linux is compatible though. It looked really... Odd every time it booted.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:35 PM

That is why I suggested a different version of linux. One may be more compatible than another. It could also be that the proprietary drivers need to be downloaded for the graphics chipset.

You can first try Linux Mate as I suggested and if that does not run well go to Ubuntu. The people in the linux forum would be able to advise you better if you gave them the model number of the PC. The HP touch 770. 

At least you have WIFI so you can download the two at a WIFI hotspot. 

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:22 AM

I reinstalled Windows 7

Could you please clarify this statement above?  What do you mean by RE-install Windows 7; did you have a current installation of Windows 7 that you cleared away and then re-installed? IF that is what you meant, what version of W7 did you install, meaning was this an OEM disk that came from the computer manufacturer, or is it a standalone, retail version purchased from a store? Or...was it an upgrade disk, upgrading from Vista to Windows 7?

Next....do you have a factory restore partition for Vista on your hard drive that came originally with the computer?  Or is it a separate CD with Vista on it that came with the computer?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:08 AM

Activation issues...are decided by no one other than MS or representatives of Microsoft.  What would be the purpose of taking it to a shop?

Some computer repair places carry legal, installable, copies of Windows 7, probably Professional version.  Mine did.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:15 AM

Please see below thread. OP had freezing issues. Computer had COA sticker with a Vista key. Windows 7 was installed with a SLP key. Advanced Token Manager was used to back up activation files but failed. I presume due to the fact the SLIC table in BIOS is Vista specific. I do know an OEM key can be used on a Windows Retail install disk to install Windows 7 and activate via phone. OP used Windows iso downloader to download Windows 7 iso version installed. 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/638225/hp-touchsmart-iq-700-desktop-freezing/

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:00 PM

Ok, thanks. Just exploring possibilities...

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#11 Dragooness

Dragooness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:40 PM

No restore partion unfortunately. The win 7 I installed was professional sp1. It was the version on the computer q the time, but the key is for a different version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users