Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server/New Build

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cabigler

cabigler

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:28 PM

Greetings all,

I am new to this forum but think it looks pretty good from the bits that I read so far. Anyways I am planning on building my first computer from scratch and want some insight on what hardware I should use. The following is what I am looking for in a build.

Functionality:

I want to build a desktop computer that I can use for backups, media storage (with remote access), maybe host a small website and run 2 -3 VM's on it. So I was thinking it would be a hybird normal use computer/server. Is this even possible? If so what hardware would I need to do this?

Price:

Price is not a major concern, I mean i dont want to take out a loan for this thing but I also dont want it to not be useful to me down the road.

Space/cooling:

Where should I keep this bad boy? Should I build A custom case? House some stuff separate? 

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated in advance!

Thanks,

CB 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:19 AM

So like you want desktop PC that can run 24/7, right? It's possible in case you don't need 99.9% reliability.

Also some kind of budget is needed.

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

Here's what i would buy:

32GB ECC RAM (more if necessary)

Dual Xeon E5-2670s

Dual Socket Motherboard

Dual Psu

Hard Drives

Would you like this in a server chassis or Desktop Case?

Cheaper Option

Dual Xeon E5620

Dual Psu

Motherboard

32GB ECC RAM

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:42 AM

Backups and file serving can be done on an i3 or used/old Pentium IV; the 'host a small website' can easily be done on a Linux lamp stack VM using few resources, or, from Windows using 4 times as many resources. 

Certainly an i7-7700K/Z270 with 32GB of RAM should fill your proverbial needs for tinkering with the above.

Edited by MDD1963, 07 March 2017 - 06:30 PM.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

I just question whether it is sensible trying to get a desktop to do the tasks you mention? Media serving, backup storage, even simple website hosting could be done (better IMHO) from a headless NAS - either off the shelf or custom built, which you could shut away somewhere and leave on 24/7 with no reboots.  It should be possible to do with a pretty low powered system.  What are the VM's to do, host websites, or are they for your own desktop use?  Are you looking to access the VM's from other devices?

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:34 PM

Guess it depends on 'for training' use, or, a genuine workload...

There is a difference in hosting a hobby website for 4 people in a family/10 people on a business intranet, vice trying to run/host an internet ordering/sales business like Newegg....

It certainly does not take a server to run 24/7, I used to run desktops 24/7 crunching SETI units, and, none ever failed barring a neighborhood power outage in a storm.

For 'real world' business hosting, I also recommend a true server.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users