Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Bluetooth Dongle - Pairs with headset but no sound

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 j2rockefell

j2rockefell

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:02 PM

Hello,

I purchased an Excelvan branded Bluetooth USB dongle recently in hopes that I could get my Bluetooth headsets working with this computer. The package indicates that it supports Windows 7, and my system is running Windows 7 64 bit.

No driver disc was provided with the device, no is there room for a disc in the retail packaging, so I assumed that Windows would have generic reference drivers which would pick it up. There are no drivers, nor in fact, even any mention of this product on the manufacturer's website (http://www.excelvan.com) that I was able to find.

When I plugged it in to a USB port, the device installed, and in the device manager under Bluetooth Radios, Both "Generic Bluetooth Radio" and "Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator" show up. Neither of these has any errors appearing. In addition, there are 4 new entries in the "Other devices" category, all marked as "Bluetooth Peripheral Device". They do have errors indicating that there are no drivers installed for these 4 items.

I have 3 separate Bluetooth devices (a generic headset, an Emerson headset, and a generic Bluetooth speaker) that all function with other computers (both Windows 7 and 10, 64 bit) and cell phones with no issues. With the computer I am writing about (using the Excelvan dongle), these devices can be discovered by the computer, and indicate that they are paired. They appear in the devices and printers menu as Bluetooth headset, but they have no sound output. In the playback devices menu under sound properties, none of the devices (the Bluetooth connected headsets) appear at all.

I believe the issue is that Windows 7 does not include a driver for at least part of the hardware. I have updated all my drivers from Windows Update, with no success.

I am including the Hardware ID's from the device manager for the 4 parts of the dongle with no driver, just in case that is helpful:

BTHENUM\{00001108-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}_LOCALMFG&0010

BTHENUM\{0000111e-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}_LOCALMFG&0010

BTHENUM\{0000110b-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}_LOCALMFG&0010

BTHENUM\{0000110e-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}_LOCALMFG&0010

Any help that anyone can provide would be awesome!

Thanks,

-J2Rock

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

See if this driver works for you.

https://drp.su/en/hwids/BTHENUM%5C%7B00001108-0000-1000-8000-00805F9B34FB%7D?os=windows-7-x64

#3 j2rockefell

j2rockefell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:30 AM

Thanks. I tried it out. Here's the results:

The Atheros drivers removed one of the unknown "Bluetooth Peripheral Devices", but the other 3 are still there.

No other changes. Still not appearing as an audio output device in the playback devices section my sound properties.

As a side note, I also tried the Driverpack website's automatic software after I installed the drivers you provided... all it did was download an unneeded update for my USB root hub which disabled my WiFi. Had to go back to a restore point to fix it and get back on the internet.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:37 AM

I am not sure how to proceed. It's interesting that you lost your WIFI. Some WIFI cards have bluetooth integrated. I am not sure if this is your case though. Do you have an Atheros chipset for your WIFI card? 

#5 j2rockefell

j2rockefell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:49 AM

The drivers themselves didn't give me any WiFi issues. It was the automated software from the Driverpack website (which was on the same page you linked, and I tried after trying the specific ones you linked) that "automagically" selected the wrong drivers for my USB root and disabled my WiFi.

The drivers you linked didn't cause the issue. They worked partially... Fixed 1 of the 4 issues. The other 3 did not have a driver in that pack.

I have emailed the manufacturer, but I doubt they understand English. I just ordered a new adapter anyway, from a manufacturer I trust (an Asus USB-BT400), and if the Driver CD with it fails, they at least have downloadable drivers on their site. It is several times the price, but it will be well worth it if the blasted thing works.

Thanks for your help!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:21 AM

No problem, if you have the time please post an update on how the new adapter worked out.

Edit: If the new adapter does not work for you then take a look at installing the Windows Bluetooth stack.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/switch-microsoft-bluetooth-stack-51846.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 February 2017 - 09:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users