Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 partial freeze

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fellowtraveler

fellowtraveler

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:02 PM

We have a computer running Win10  that will suddenly freeze up. When this happens, you can hover over the icons on the desktop and the border will change or press the windows key and it will open the start menu. However, as soon as you try to open a program, the mouse cursor starts spinning and stays that way even after a 1/2 hour. You have to power it off to get it to restart.

I have looked at the event logs but there's no errors or warning logged when this happens so I'm at a loss on trying to troubleshoot the problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:34 AM

We have a computer running Win10  that will suddenly freeze up. When this happens, you can hover over the icons on the desktop and the border will change or press the windows key and it will open the start menu. However, as soon as you try to open a program, the mouse cursor starts spinning and stays that way even after a 1/2 hour. You have to power it off to get it to restart.

I have looked at the event logs but there's no errors or warning logged when this happens so I'm at a loss on trying to troubleshoot the problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Does this happen in safe mode too?

If you do Ctrl_Alt-Delete when this happens  does the Taskmanger open?

What anti-virus are you using?

Have you added any new software lately?

Are all Windows Updates installed and virus scans clean?

#3 fellowtraveler

fellowtraveler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:51 PM

Thanks

Does this happen in safe mode too?

If you do Ctrl_Alt-Delete when this happens  does the Taskmanger open?

What anti-virus are you using?

Have you added any new software lately?

Are all Windows Updates installed and virus scans clean?

Haven't tried working in safe mode. 

Task manager won't open. 

AV Malwarebytes and Emsisoft. I've checked the logs and there's no correlation between scheduled scans and locking up

No new sofware

Yes all up to date

Thanks

#4 fellowtraveler

fellowtraveler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

Found the program that was causing the problem disabling startup items and re-enabling one at a time. Slow process but it found the problem child.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users