Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Occasionally no display until I cycle monitor on/off a few times.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 phoenixevanidus

phoenixevanidus

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:22 PM

Specs:

Win10 Home 64bit

version: 1607

OS Build 14393.693

Intel i5-2500K @3.30ghz

16GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (purchased in new condition May 2016)

driver version: 378.66 (current)

PSU: 650W

This has happened to me twice now in the past couple of weeks.  My routine is that I turn on my computer and walk away to go get breakfast going, so the first time it happened (Feb 15), I didn't witness the process.  My first reaction was to mess with the monitor itself, since it was obvious my computer and other externals were on.  My screen was just black.  No message about my display.  Nothing.

When I'd power the monitor off and back on again, I'd see my display briefly before it'd go black again.  I did this a few more time and it stayed on.

I knew my graphics driver wasn't up to date, so I went through a separate ordeal trying to update it (the installer kept failing).  I also re-seated my card, just because.

I hadn't had an issue since then until today.  Thing is, due to this happening, I linger for a few seconds to make sure my monitor boots up and has some kind of display.  I saw ASUS flash up on my screen per usual, so I walked away, but it still went black, apparently, and I didn't get to see when.

When I came back, seeing the black screen, I tried cycling it off and on again and it did the same thing as last time: I'd see my display briefly before the screen went black again, and then it finally stayed on.

As a side note, though my monitor is obviously on, the blue HEY I AM ON light isn't on.  However, the orange I AM NOT ON light shines proudly through the night when my computer's off.

Edited by phoenixevanidus, 26 February 2017 - 03:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:53 PM

Pretty much every indicator is that the monitor is faulty (backlighting), what brand and model is it?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 phoenixevanidus

phoenixevanidus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:23 PM

ASUS VH232, manufactured in June 2009

genius how they have that info hidden under the HDMI/DVI plugs.  BUT I FOUND IT, GOSH DARNIT.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:58 AM

I haven't worked particularly on the ASUS monitors, so I can't be specific, but the general principles are common to monitors. Looks like it would have CCFL backlighting, and is of an age where a backlight lamp could have failed. With any monitor of that age however, it's worth checking (or having it checked, if you don't tackle DIY) for bad electrolytic capacitors in the power supply board, which can produce the symptom of no display.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users