Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password protected/invisible folders

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sinine

sinine

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:55 AM

Is there a way to password protect folders in Win 10? Or how do I make them invisible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:16 AM

Let me first say that I would suggest using separate user accounts if you wish to isolate your own data files from those of other users and using the Public folder hierarchy for things you wish to have shared between users.

That being said, you can definitely hide folders and/or files by opening the properties dialog for same and checking the "hidden" attribute in the General tab.  Mind you, this only works if the normal default File Explorer Options in the View tab for "Don't show hidden files, folders, or drives" is turned on.  If a user turns this off using "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" then hidden folders are shown, but using a slightly stippled out icon that allows you to know that these would be hidden if you didn't have the "show" option on.

If you wish to keep data files from another user the easiest way is to have separate users on the machine and, other than the person who is actually the administrator for the machine, all other user accounts should not have administrator privileges.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:23 PM

As britechguy said, separate non-administrator user accounts is probably the best and easiest way, with the accounts having a password to protect them, or at least the account that you want the data secured.  This way saving the data in the standard Documents, Download, Music, Video, etc folders will protect the information from other users of the machine.

Knowing who you want to protect the data from is helpful.  If you want total protection you need encryption as simply pulling the drive allows someone to connect it to another machine that they control to take ownership of the drive and read anything that is not encrypted.

The more secure you want the data to be, the more work it will take, both to secure it and to use it.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:33 PM

There is one other option:  turn on thread starter's EFS under Control Panel User Account [I'm W7, so W10 menu may be different].  However, turning on EFS does have consequences, be aware of the features, benefits, potential "side effects" of EFS, especially for restore operations, usb or dvd booting for data recovery, and other situations. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:36 PM

RolandJS EFS (Encrypting File System) would fall under Encryption.  I am hesitant to recommend encryption for anything as I've seen first hand the issues that it can cause.  If you encrypt and forget the password your data is gone.  Then it brings up the conversation about backing up and do you encrypt the back up.  As I said, "The more secure you want the data to be, the more work it will take, both to secure it and to use it." 

Edited by Kilroy, 27 February 2017 - 02:37 PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:41 PM

kilroy, you are right as rain!  You and I are adding to the caution list of possible consequences.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:45 PM

I will add an additional recommendation against encryption unless you are dealing with data that absolutely requires it (and that's generally imposed by an employer).

The nightmares that can arise from encryption if something goes wrong are, well, nightmares.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#8 sinine

sinine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:17 PM

Okay I got it done with the properties thing. Thank you!

I only need it for one day when my mother comes over, don't want her to see some pics :D Otherwise it's only me using my laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users