Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SQL Server 2016 CAL Requirement

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 daredavel

daredavel

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:35 AM

Hello,

If this is the wrong place to post this, please transfer or direct me to the correct one. :mellow:

I'll be purchasing 2 SQL server 2016 standard edition which will be installed on 2 different servers running different databases.

My question is, will I be purchasing 2 separate SQL server device CAL for each device we have in the company for it to connect properly? Every device will be connecting simultaneously to the two server's databases.

Or one(1) device CAL will do as the two version/edition of SQL servers are the same?

Edited by daredavel, 26 February 2017 - 09:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:58 AM

A single CAL will enable the user or device that you allocate it to to access both sql servers (simultaneously if need be).

Note that you can allocate tha CAL to a USER (in which case that user can access the databases from whatever terminals of devices he has, or to a device (in which case whowver uses that particular single termnial/device is licensed, whoever the are.

Allocating the cals per user makes more sense most of the time (as users often need to access from PCs, laptops, Mobile phones etc.). One CAL allocated per user would cover one user to access from all of their devices.

x64

#3 daredavel

daredavel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:01 AM

A single CAL will enable the user or device that you allocate it to to access both sql servers (simultaneously if need be).

Note that you can allocate tha CAL to a USER (in which case that user can access the databases from whatever terminals of devices he has, or to a device (in which case whowver uses that particular single termnial/device is licensed, whoever the are.

Allocating the cals per user makes more sense most of the time (as users often need to access from PCs, laptops, Mobile phones etc.). One CAL allocated per user would cover one user to access from all of their devices.

x64

Thank you for the feedback x64, I really appreciate it! On my company, its the device that has multiple users and BYOD is not practiced. That's why I'm wondering if I will have to secure 2 CALs for each device for it to enable access simultaneously. But I guess, my question was answered. Thank you.

#4 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:06 AM

You're welcome.

The documents linked to from the RHS of this page may be of help if you have trouble sleeping.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/Licensing/product-licensing/sql-server.aspx

x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users