Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore/reinstall Win 10?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rusnakes

Rusnakes

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:08 AM

Greeting everyone,

I purchased a computer that came with Win10 on it and the constant stream of data being sent from my computer overwhelmed my very minimal internet connection. Prior to a computer with Win10, internet access was fine (slow for big downloads, but fine).

I worked with a tech friend on the issue and was counseled to use a Linux OS, which I did. Eventually I deleted Win10 off my machine since it is a smaller SSD.

Fast forward a month or so...I start teaching back at my university and Linux machines are not compatible with the university computer network, which means my laptop locks up the teaching station (who knew). No support provided b/c it isn't a Windows or Mac computer.

So, my tech friend (who is busy and never around) mentioned that I could "just pull back up the deleted Win10 and use that". Problem is, I have no idea how to do this. :)  He mentioned a product key sticker on my computer for Win10, but I do not have that (it is an HP and the only stick on it is for the i7 processor).

I'd prefer to just use Win7, but before rushing off to Ebay to buy that, I thought I'd investigate this option. I personally don't think it is possible, given the dire warnings of "once you delete this you cannot recover it" when it was originally deleted.

Many thanks for the thoughts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,803 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:02 AM

If you go to the Windows 10 Download Page in your web browser and use the Media Creation Tool to download the Windows 10 Installation ISO and either burn it to a DVD or make a bootable USB drive (see Rufus - I personally prefer using it to the MCT's bootable USB creation) you can definitely reload Windows 10 on your machine.

Once a given computer is licensed for Windows 10 the Microsoft servers keep this on file and if the same hardware later reinstalls Windows 10 it will be recognized as validly licensed without entering a license key.

I am omitting the details of configuring UEFI to boot from either the DVD drive or USB drive as the exact "how to" varies by manufacturer.

In the grand scheme of things it is a simple matter, probably 30 minutes or so if you already "know what you're doing" as far as changing boot order, to get Windows 10 reinstalled on your computer.  This presumes, though, that you're not trying to dual boot with Linux which, while entirely possible, is a bit more complicated to set up.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 Rusnakes

Rusnakes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions, Brian. I was able to change boot order when I installed Linux, so hopefully I can pull off the impossible again. :)

Very much appreciate your assistance. I will try this out!

#4 Rusnakes

Rusnakes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:41 PM

Okay, so I had a question just come to mind...if I have a valid license for Win 10, could it be possible to reinstall Win 7 or Win 8.X on my computer with an ISO file (and have it accept the license key for Win 10 to activate Win 7 or 8)? I'm just wondering if I could bypass the issue I was having originally by reinstalling an older version of Windows. Thoughts?

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,803 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:22 PM

No.  If you want to install anything earlier than Windows 10 you'd need to have the license key available (I could be wrong about Windows 8, but I don't think so).

If you want to have Windows 10 it really makes sense to start with a fresh installation of Windows 10.  There's nothing to be gained by going back to an earlier version and then applying upgrades.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#6 Rusnakes

Rusnakes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:24 PM

Honestly, I want to have a version of Windows that doesn't eat up internet bandwidth, but absent that, I just need something that will be compatible with university computer stations for teaching. :)

Thanks for the info! Very helpful!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users