Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont switch on after fall - what's damaged?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 danc112

danc112

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:00 AM

Hi - thanks in advance for any help

Recently my desktop PC fell off the table. It didnt fall all the way to the floor and seemed to be fine. However, it powered itself off after a short time automatically. 

It turned out that the heatsink had become detached from the CPU during the fall and presumably caused the CPU to overheat. I put the heatsink back into place and for a couple of weeks the computer was all fine. 

A couple of weeks later, I was using the computer and it powered itself off again. When I tried to switch it back on, it started up for around 1 second before switching off and allowing it to cool down made no difference.

Specs:

CPU: Intel core i5 4690k

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate 

RAM: Hyper X Fury 8GB DDR3 1866MHZ

PSU: EVGA 500W WHITE 80+

Windows 10 64 Pro

Any ideas of whats going on? If you need more info, please let me know

Thanks

Edited by danc112, 26 February 2017 - 08:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:16 AM

One guess would be that simply refitting the heatsink without cleaning off the contact surfaces and applying fresh thermal paste has allowed the CPU to be overheating, and damaged it, although an i5 should do thermal throttling to avoid damage. Removing the heatsink, cleaning off the CPU and inspecting for signs of overheat discoloration could give a clue.

However other stress damage could also only show up after a time, e.g. crack in a board, and not be easy to diagnose, especially from a distance on a forum.

The most likely procedure to use IMO would be inspect the heatsink/CPU combination for any damage, impacted CPU contact pins etc, if seems good, clean and refit with fresh thermal paste. Remove video card, RAM, drive connections so just CPU in mainboard and see if it can start. If it still tries and immediately shuts down, suspect CPU thermal/impact damage or mainboard, or maybe PSU. If it starts & stays on, power down, add RAM, check again, likewise video card, drives until non-starting recurs. e.g. if video card stops booting, inspect card and PCIe slot for damage.

Edited by Platypus, 26 February 2017 - 09:18 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 danc112

danc112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:06 AM

Thanks Platypus

I more closely inspected the connections in the MB. Turns out one of the power cables had become detatched....Simple!

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:02 PM

Good news. Thanks for letting us know!
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users