Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deep learning PC building

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 giust

giust

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:00 AM

Hey guys!

I want to build my own desktop and I'd like to ask you for advice. The budget is around 1250€. I want it mainly for Kaggle competitions. Those who don't know what it is, it's a website where you can take part into data science competitions, so it is quite computing demanding. For this kind of tasks I have read that it's very important to have a poweful GPU, and that CPU is not as important as GPU. This is my first idea:

The whole build is around 1275€

What do you think and what would you change?

Thank you very much for your help!!! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:35 AM

Ryzen is launched next week, wait for it.

I would skip all TLC drives, including Samsung Evo.

#3 giust

giust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:47 AM

Is really Ryzen better than Intel? I've always used Intel, and as far as I know it's not common to combine AMD CPU with NVIDIA GPU, I don't know if there would be compatibility issues.

What would you recommend for storage then?

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:02 AM

The Ryzen 7 1700 will be similar prices to the 7700k and have 46% better performance. It is a common myth that AMD CPU will be incompatible with NVIDIA GPU. It doesn't make a difference, as long as you have a PCIe 16X slot on your motherboard, the GPU will work.

Edited by hamluis, 26 February 2017 - 03:30 PM.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 giust

giust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:11 AM

If that's true I'll have to wait for the release and see all the user benchmarks! Anyway, as I said I'm more concerned about the GPU than CPU. Is the GTX 1070 the way to go?

Also, any tips on choosing a motherboard? What should I be looking at? I'm a bit lost there  :huh:

Edited by hamluis, 26 February 2017 - 03:31 PM.

#6 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:40 AM

I'd like to point out that a 500W - 600W PSU would be more than enough for those parts. Only go for a 800W if you're planning to upgrade to an SLI later on. A 1070 has a lot of power but if we can save some money on the motherboard and a new Ryzen CPU then you might want to look at a 1080 (of course, I don't know what the pricing is like in your area). Ryzen CPU's require an AM4 socket so we just have to wait for those to be released with Ryzen.

Edited by Planemaster2, 26 February 2017 - 09:49 AM.

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:59 AM

Is really Ryzen better than Intel? I've always used Intel, and as far as I know it's not common to combine AMD CPU with NVIDIA GPU, I don't know if there would be compatibility issues.

What would you recommend for storage then?

As others already told, Ryzen is much better than 7700K.

I recommend M.2 SSD with MLC tech. However M.2 drives are more expensive than SATA ones and have heating issues on heavy use, so it's not that simple. If sticking with SATA, again some MLC drive that are harder to find right now when manufacturers are pushing TLC crap.

#8 giust

giust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for the advice, I didn't even know that there different types of SSD. What would you recommend for a M2 drive and for a MLC drive?

Edited by hamluis, 26 February 2017 - 03:29 PM.

#9 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:37 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-OCZ-RD400-Solid-RVD400-M22280-512G/dp/B01G3HLQLU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

Example of MLC NAND

I don't know that a 1070 is the best choice for deep learning. I would buy an R9 Fury or a NVIDIA TESLA if you really aren't gaming. 

Other Tesla

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#10 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:07 PM

What may not be a brand in your country may be in his. As I see it, his PSU has 449 reviews and a 4.5 star rating which makes it, in my opinion, a good choice. It's just the fact that he doesn't really need a 800W PSU to power all of it. CPU cooler will have to be different as Ryzen is coming soon, so is the motherboard so those aren't valid at the moment and what says that he doesn't need a PC for that much money? Your job probably doesn't require something high end whilst he needs to do something that is. Unless OP is concerned about how his PC looks, the case is probably fine provided it has enough space and decent cable management.

Doing a little research into deep learning PC's, more CUDA cores are better for this kind of work. Currently, one of the best GPU suited for this would be a Titan X Pascal but those are very expensive. A 1080 is reportedly very good but it's also a case of fitting it into your budget. You only need about 4 cores in your CPU and it doesn't have to be as powerful as the i7 so you can save a bit there. RAM looks as if it should be around 32GB but I'm sure you could make do with 16GB if your budget doesn't permit. The TESLA cards appear to be designed for this so you might want to look into those. 

This was a very quick glance through everything I found so excuse any errors.

Edited by hamluis, 26 February 2017 - 03:28 PM.

#11 giust

giust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:47 PM

What may not be a brand in your country may be in his. As I see it, his PSU has 449 reviews and a 4.5 star rating which makes it, in my opinion, a good choice. It's just the fact that he doesn't really need a 800W PSU to power all of it. CPU cooler will have to be different as Ryzen is coming soon, so is the motherboard so those aren't valid at the moment and what says that he doesn't need a PC for that much money? Your job probably doesn't require something high end whilst he needs to do something that is. Unless OP is concerned about how his PC looks, the case is probably fine provided it has enough space and decent cable management.

Doing a little research into deep learning PC's, more CUDA cores are better for this kind of work. Currently, one of the best GPU suited for this would be a Titan X Pascal but those are very expensive. A 1080 is reportedly very good but it's also a case of fitting it into your budget. You only need about 4 cores in your CPU and it doesn't have to be as powerful as the i7 so you can save a bit there. RAM looks as if it should be around 32GB but I'm sure you could make do with 16GB if your budget doesn't permit. The TESLA cards appear to be designed for this so you might want to look into those. 

This was a very quick glance through everything I found so excuse any errors.

You are right Planemaster2, the number of CUDA cores is critical, as well as the memory of the GPU. As you said, the best one would be Titan X but that is out of budget, and so is 1080. My idea is to get the 1070 and, if needed, get more in the future. That's also the reason why I'd like a motherboard with enough PCIs.

What CPU would you recommend? Like others have already said, maybe I wait for Ryzan. I guess I won't buy it because I don't like buying gadgets that have been in the market for only 1 week, but I'm expecting intel CPUs to drop over the next few weeks and, if is the case that the reviews of the Ryzan are spectacular, I might give it a try.

As a rule of thumb, I think RAM should be twice the memory of the GPU (8gb), so 16gb RAM should be enough. I was planning to buy 32gb at least, but I've seen prices and they have peaked around 100% in the previous months (I don't know why) so I might go with 16gb now and buy 32gb later (any problem in having 48gb instead of 32gb or 64gb?).

With respect to the Teslas, I have also checked them. According to several sources, the high end GTXs (1070, 1080, Titan X) seem to outperform them. Probably there will be some Tesla that has the job better, but for the price I'm looking (350-400) the 1070 seems to be a clear winner.

Also I'm struggling in what motherboard to choose, what specs would you be looking at when choosing a mobo?

Thanks for your time!

my very personal opinion is that the whole system is not a balanced one and i wish to be more specific

you want to buy a high end graphics card but the same time you want to buy a non well brand power supply unit... to power your very expensive graphics card...

your cpu cooler also is not the best for such as cpu and final your case is not anything special...

personally i wouldn't spent that amount of money even for a high end pc or even for a pc for my job since i can do my job and a lot of more with a much cheaper pc and this is a different story

simply, i can tell you to buy a much better psu , a branded one like seasonic, antec, (a good and branded psu of 500 watts is sufficient) or if you want something cheaper the be-quite psu seems to be really very good even for intensive jobs, 80+ psu is a good starting pont

i do not think that that you really want such as  graphics card, for your kaggie...

i would recommend the nvidia quadro, even a mid range quadro can do the job perfectly

cpu cooler...noctua, prolimatech, scythe just to mention a few but your stocked intel cooler is suffient even if your pc will run ten hours a day...

case...lian li, bitfenix (cheaper), 

motherboard... anything better than the msi you have choose

good luck my friend

Thanks, I've already been told by others that it might make sense to spend a bit more on the PSU and cooler. A better cooler I understand that it will keep the CPU less hot, but I'm not sure where the difference in the PSU would be... after all it provides the power, everything should be equal. I guess it's all about energy saving. But anyway I'll give it a look :)

The box I really don't care about the looks of the PC, so it shouldn't be a problem. I just want all the stuff to fit in.

I checked the Quadro GPUs, and for what I've read Geforce still outperforms Quadro in these tasks. As far as I know, the Titan X, 1080 and 1070 are the best for these tasks, but I can't afford 1080 or Titan X right now.

#12 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:42 AM

A low quality PSU cannot regulate voltages well. You'll generally know it's low quality when you smell smoke coming from your PC. The PSU you selected should be OK as it has 400-500 reviews and personal opinions. If you are thinking of getting a second 1070 when you come to upgrade in the future then it's worth having something like 800W. You're right about the case of the PC. The looks don't really matter, all you need to know is whether it has enough space for your components, a bit for a CD writer if you want one and decent cable management.

And yes, even if you don't want Ryzen, Intel have dropped the prices on many of their CPU's. We can only see more drops in the very near future.

Edited by hamluis, 27 February 2017 - 02:29 PM.

#13 giust

giust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:00 AM

Great, so for now I'll wait for Ryzan reviews. 

I'll keep you updated!

#14 justanaccount

justanaccount

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

Great, so for now I'll wait for Ryzan reviews. 

I'll keep you updated!

Sounds great! A little patience goes a long way in this situation ;). I was hoping to build my own PC but found one which was of pretty good value. Wish I could try out Ryzen but simply don't have the time or Budget.

Edited by justanaccount, 27 February 2017 - 11:27 AM.

#15 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:20 AM

If choosing a 7700K processor, choose a Z270-based mainboard, not Z170.....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users