Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is UPS absolutely necessary for desktop pc?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 tantrik

tantrik

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:19 AM

Dear friends,

Is ups compulsory for a desktop pc? If power goes out and the pc not shut down properly, will this affect the components of the pc? If power goes out frequently (e.g. 1-4 times a day), provided that the said pc does not have ups or has one with insufficient backup for the pc (i.e., dying battery) to be shut down properly, will this impose adverse affects on the components (i.e. hardware - motherboard, processor, hdd etc) of the pc? Will the pc components die out quickly and malfunction? Will this affect the overall performance of the pc?

Is there any ups alternative? Is there any electrical device that could be used to protect pc from power surge, high/low voltage and other possible electrical/power problems? 

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:05 AM

Yes, the biggest risk of not using a UPS is actually to the HDD.  A UPS will shield your computer from rapid on/off cycles commonly occurring when power starts flickering.  Even if it's a small UPS and will die in 10 minutes at least it'll just be a single one time shutoff.  The real issue comes up when power turns off and back on repeatedly just before it totally shuts off.  HDD's require the spinning platter's momentum to power the head parking cycle.  If the power is repeatedly turning off/on this often gets interrupted leading to the heads becoming stuck to the platters.

I can't really speak to other components, as my specialty is hard drives and that's what I fix day in and day out.

#3 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:07 AM

Also, you should be aware that a surge protector without a battery will not help prevent this issue.  That only protects from lightning and high voltage surges.  Need the battery to be safe.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:37 AM

Not that I doubt a single thing that Data Medic has said is true, one still has to look a the probability of said thing occurring.

There are areas where the "flickering" of/on type power outage is quite common (relatively speaking) and others where it virtually never happens.  I've been using PCs since there were desktop PCs in Western Pennsylvania, Northern Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley, and New York State and have never had one suffer the failure described from a power outage because the power outages I've experienced have routinely been either an instant "it's out completely" or "brownout" where the lights go down slightly but the power itself never goes out (and a desktop's power supply unit evens that out).

This is a matter of risk assessment.  If it is critical that your machine never suffer a failure of the type mentioned then a UPS would be a very good idea (and you should also be taking regular backups in case of HDD failure of any other sort).  If you're a typical home computer user and you don't live in an area where "rapid cycling" power outages occur with any frequency then a surge suppressor should be more than sufficient.

It's considering what's actually probable for your area versus what's potentially but remotely possible and making a decision you're comfortable with.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:42 AM

"one still has to look a the probability of said thing occurring."

"This is a matter of risk assessment.  "

OP said power goes out 1-4 times per day.  So I'd say the risk factor is astronomically high in his case.  Well worth the $60 for a cheap UPS to not risk data loss.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:59 AM

"one still has to look a the probability of said thing occurring."

"This is a matter of risk assessment.  "

OP said power goes out 1-4 times per day.  So I'd say the risk factor is astronomically high in his case.  Well worth the $60 for a cheap UPS to not risk data loss.

And I'd agree in his or her case.  I do think it's important to address the more general case as well for other readers.

Unless you're in a high risk situation where power outages are common and "rapid cycle" ones in particular I'd say it's generally overkill, but again, that depends on the individual's comfort level with the potential for loss/problems.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,767 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:35 PM

In the grand scheme of things, a UPS usage depends on what your power suppliers dependability is.  One other thing, if you are on the edge of a manufacturing district or have neighbors with welding units that run off house power, drop outs are common as is loads of garbage impressed upon the voltage.  A battery backup UPS unit will fill in any missing gaps and run the unit for a short period, allowing for an orderly shutdown.  Above all, be sure the unit has its own ground point, separate from the wall outlet.  Naturally all power supplies are certified (supposedly) to withstand overvoltage events and will prevent any output voltages from going askew.  Murphy's Law always applies.

#8 tantrik

tantrik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:47 AM

Thanks to all of your suggestions. I will get a surge suppressor and a new ups then.

#9 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:44 AM

Most UPS units actually have surge suppression built in, so you really don't need an additional one.  Actually how most UPSs work is that the computer will run on the battery all the time, and the line voltage just runs the charger which charges the battery at the same time.  It's the same thing laptops do, and it's why the batteries don't tend to last very long.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:03 AM

Get a good quality heavy duty proper-wattage-amount UPS, which includes surge protection, and you will never be sorry.  Wifey and I have one for each of the following: computer center, 4 vhs/dvd combo center, living room setup, bedroom setup -- for our apartment.  "In flight" recording just like "in progress" doc-making means it is important have an orderly save-stuff/shutdown procedure.

Edited by RolandJS, 27 February 2017 - 01:20 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,616 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:52 AM

Most UPS units actually have surge suppression built in, so you really don't need an additional one.  Actually how most UPSs work is that the computer will run on the battery all the time, and the line voltage just runs the charger which charges the battery at the same time.  It's the same thing laptops do, and it's why the batteries don't tend to last very long.

If the UPS is running off the battery all the time then is this a unit without AVR as a UPS with AVR is not be running off the battery all the time.

http://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA158913/

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:23 PM

Most UPS units...run on the battery all the time, and the line voltage just runs the charger which charges the battery at the same time...

If the UPS is running off the battery all the time then is this a unit without AVR as a UPS with AVR is not be running off the battery all the time.

http://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA158913/

JohnC, is there a way to tell on the back of the average UPS if it is an UPS w/AVR or an UPS w/o AVR?  Or, would a manufacturer and model number be necessary for lookup in some database somewhere?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,616 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:29 PM

I think the model number would give you the info. If not on the sticker then at the UPS manufacturer's website.

#14 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,374 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:53 PM

It depends on how attached to your computer and data you are.  Think of a UPS as insurance.  You don't have to have it, but it could make what would be an unpleasant experience much less unpleasant.

Many UPS units also act as power conditioners where if your supple power drops or increases it will supply the normal voltage to the attached devices.

Power loss has two potential times to incur damage to your machine.  When you lose power data being written or data to be written to your drive may be lost.  When the power comes back on it may spike and electrocute your PC taking out electronic components.

All of that said, my main PC is on a UPS.  My entertainment PC is not. 

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:13 PM

"...My entertainment PC is not..."  I think there are itty bitty UPS units for sale  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users