Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't start in normal mode

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kaityf

Kaityf

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:07 PM

I'm writing this for my son who is away at school, dealing with a crashed computer. He was playing a game on the computer when suddenly it just shut down, then restarted. Then shut down. Then restarted. He managed to start in safe mode and get his important files, but can't do much of anything else. If he tries to start up in regular mode, the computer fails to start a couple of times and then he gets the recovery screen. 

He has tried disk scan/repair, but that failed. It was on 13% for about 3 hours, then rather suddenly finished with no other message than 100% complete. The computer restarted and same looping. He's gone to the advanced options and tried going back to a previous build, but that failed. it seems that whatever he tries fails. 

This is the message he got when attempting a system restore:

"System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. Details: System Restore failed while restoring the directory from the restore point. Source: AppxStaging Destination: %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070091)"

Running sfc /scannow does not work. The message is "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

So he tried, sfc /verifyonly. That one got him the message that "Windows Resource Protection found integrity violations. Details are included in the CBS.Log...."  He managed to get into safe mode with networking and sent me the log file. I've attached it in hopes that someone can look at it and find a problem. 

He's pretty freaked out since he's a senior and has some major projects he needs to complete, including one that is a deal - breaker. He doesn't do well on it and he doesn't get his degree.  (It's a music composition thing.)

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.log   469.92KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:10 PM

If Safe Mode is still available Windows 10 has the option to do a reset with the option to keep personal files. This would be the most expedient method to get the computer running again.

The downside is all programs would need to be reinstalled. Unfortunately I don't have experience diagnosing CBS logs.

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc

Depending on the computer manufacturer there may be a recovery partition that would reset back to a factory state but as a reset, the programs would need to be reinstalled.

Some OEMs have diagnostics available. On HP it's accessed by tapping Esc at boot and for Dell's F12. This would test the hard drive and memory for any faults.

#3 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:49 PM

I don't know what an OEM is. His computer is "home made." A friend built it for him. I have all the stats on it, though.  Are there any diagnostics, he should try before he tries the reset? 

He did the scannow. That failed. He said he had also tried chkdsk and it didn't do anything.  

Can he do these diagnostics without restarting the computer? I mean, he can get to the command through the start button somewhere, right? (I forget where right now.) 

He also said he'd already tried a reset and it failed. He's going to run chkdsk again to get a specific message. 

Edited by Kaityf, 25 February 2017 - 11:00 PM.

#4 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:20 PM

Okay. He ran chkdsk and this time it ran. I attached a screenshot of the results. (He has this awesome program that takes a screenshot and automatically uploads it to Gyazo.com. I'd just share the link, but the pic is hard to read there.

Attached Files

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:01 AM

Because you have a topic here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/640831/computer-crashed-now-wont-start-in-normal-mode/ on the same issue, I am closing this topic to avoid potential confusion.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users