Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashed - now won't start in normal mode

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Kaityf

Kaityf

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:54 PM

I'm writing this for my son who is away at school, dealing with a crashed computer. He was playing a game on the computer when suddenly it just shut down, then restarted. Then shut down. Then restarted. He managed to start in safe mode and get his important files, but can't do much of anything else. He can opt to start safe mode with networking, but does not actually get access to the internet. If he tries to start up in regular mode, the computer fails to start a couple of times and then he gets the recovery screen. 

He has tried disk scan/repair, but that failed. It was on 13% for about 3 hours, then rather suddenly finished with no other message than 100% complete. The computer restarted and same looping. He's gone to the advanced options and tried going back to a previous build, but that failed. it seems that whatever he tries fails. 

This is the message he got when attempting a system restore:

"System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. Details: System Restore failed while restoring the directory from the restore point. Source: AppxStaging Destination: %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070091)"

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

Running sfc /scannow does not work. The message is "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

So he tried, sfc /verifyonly. That one got him the message that "Windows Resource Protection found integrity violations. Details are included in the CBS.Log...."  He managed to get into safe mode this time with networking and sent me the log file. I've attached it in hopes that someone can look at it and find a problem. 

It would be great if someone could help. 

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.log   469.92KB   4 downloads

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:44 AM

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer. This would be systems like HP and Dell.

If a command prompt is available in safe mode try the DISM commands shown here. 

From your chkdsk image it appears there the file system is corrupted.

The hard drive can be checked using a bootable disk like UBCD. Burn the iso to a CD/DVD and boot to the menu screen. Select PartedMagic at the menu screen and at the desktop select Disk Health. Run the short and long tests.

A spare USB flash drive with no data can be used with Rufus and the iso of UBCD to create a bootable USB if a CD is not available.

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Fatdog iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

You son can also create an install DVD/USB flash drive of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool on another computer. This will allow him to do a complete clean reinstall but I would advise that the hard drive be tested first.

#4 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:30 PM

We've done a lot since I posted my question on Saturday. We spent 2 days researching and trying different things. We did not do that PartedMagic test of the hard drive, since that's not something that showed up in our research. We did figure that the files on the computer were corrupt, though so we opted to reinstall Windows. We found an ISO for Windows 10 and used Rufus to create a bootable media installation drive. It worked. We were able to reinstall Windows. Of course, that didn't completely solve the problem. 

Everything seemed to be working fine. Windows started and my son was getting ready to start reinstalling programs. But then the computer shut down and restarted. It did boot up into Windows, but it kept restarting every 2 minutes. Can't get much done in 2 minutes. It also started with crazy resolution settings, magnifying everything by 125%. He changed that. Computer restarted. Changed it back. Computer restarted. 

He had changed the boot drive order to USB HDD, but changed it back to the hard drive. He may have changed it to the wrong thing, though. I don't know. The next time the computer restarted, it went right back to that two restarts, then start in Safe Mode loop. That's why I think he may have changed the boot order to the wrong thing.

When he reinstalled Windows, he had three options of where to install it. There were three partitions to choose from. Two were reserved and one wasn't. One of the reserved partitions was labeled "System." The free one was the main partition. He opted to install Windows there. I'm thinking that the Systems partition is the original Windows and that when he changed the boot order, he pointed to the bad one. 

Now, even if there were a way to point to the newer installation, we still have the restart every 2 minutes. He did at one point get a message that Windows was looking for a video display driver before it restarted. 

We are now thinking of wiping the disk completely clean and doing a restall of Windows, but we aren't sure of the steps involved there or if that would actually work. 

Could 2 versions of Windows cause instability? If we need a new video driver, how do we get it if the computer restarts every 2 minutes? 

This is such a disaster as my kid is at school and it's midterm week. He really, really, really needs his computer. 

Do you think it might actually be a disk problem? Every other check of the disk we did indicated that there were no problems with the hard drive. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:48 PM

I would recommend checking the disk but if this is not feasible your can do a clean install following these steps. It will be necessary to find out if the Motherboard is UEFI or not. If you can give me the make and model of the motherboard then I can determine the proper steps. It needs to be determined if the motherboard has UEFI firmware or a Legacy BIOS.

Boot the USB flash drive. 

When you see the screen asking for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart            Opens a diskpart prompt

list disk

select disk X     Where X is the number of the disk you will be installing Windows to. This is normally disk 0.

clean                Will delete all partitions on the disk and set it for a clean install

convert GPT     This step is only necessary if the motherboard has UEFI and not a legacy BIOS. GPT is required to boot a UEFI motherboard.

exit                   exits out of diskpart

exit                   exits out of command prompt

Continue with the install.

#6 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:13 PM

The computer is a custom made computer. Using Belarc Advisor, we previously obtained all the information about the computer, hardware, and programs on it (quite handy for getting your product key for Windows, if you lost is somehow). This is what it says about the motherboard:

Main Circuit Board b Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0 SEx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F2 11/25/2014       

Does that help?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

Here is the support page for the MB. It has a type of hybrid EFI technology and does not look like true UEFI. I would skip the Initialize GPT step in my post. Windows 10 drivers are available on the site. The large graphics indicates you will need to install the graphics driver after install.

I downloaded the manual and the MB does have a conventional BIOS. Eliminate the Initialize GPT disk step.

Edit: I do not see a Windows 10 graphics driver or for Windows 8. This is regarding the Northbridge AMD 760G. I have only found a driver for Windows 7 and that is on the Windows Update Catalog site.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 February 2017 - 03:49 PM.

#8 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

Thank you! So is the driver going to be a problem? This is the display on the computer, according to Belarc:

AMD Radeon R7 200 Series [Display adapter]

Should we look for the driver on their website?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:31 PM

That looks a little better. There must be a discrete card installed on the motherboard. That driver is available for Windows 10. Look for R7 200 at the right of the page.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

You can also download the utility to auto detect which driver you need. 

#10 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:04 PM

Well, we've made a lot of progress. It seems that some update is exactly what caused the problem. We reinstalled Windows and it was fine for 20 minutes. Then we connected to the internet, at which point, Windows installed updates. When it was done installing, we went right back to the restarting every 2 minutes. So we reinstalled Windows again. 

We've spent the last 2 hours trying to figure out how to disable the auto updates of drivers. None of the various options that show up in tutorials appear on our computer. We are left with two options: use reg edit (which I don't understand how to do) or going to the control panel to devices and printers, where we can opt to answer "no" to the question "Do you want to automatically download manufacturers' apps and custom icons available for you devices?" 

But I was reading up on that and learned that this option does not always prevent Windows from downloading drivers. I swear I hate MS for making this stuff so freakin' difficult and complicated.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:42 PM

Welcome to the World of Windows 10. Another reason I refuse to install it. You can avoid some updates by turning on Metered Connection but that only avoids the problem. Eventually the update will go through.

You can disable driver downloads permanently. Do this before connecting to the internet. In fact disconnect while installing would not be a bad idea.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

#12 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:35 PM

I know!  I hate installing new Windows! I still have XP on an old laptop!  Lol. I was probably one of the last to leave Windows 98 kicking and screaming. Never got Vista and Never got 8. I was happy with 8. But the new computer was created with 10 so ...

Anyway, I don't think this is a driver problem after all. This is all extremely bizarre.

Once we reinstalled Windows, the computer was stable for hours while we tried to figure out how to disable auto install of drivers. The only option we seem to have on this computer is through the control panel in devices and printers, where we can opt to answer "no" to the question "Do you want to automatically download manufacturers' apps and custom icons available for you devices?" 

We did that and then connected to the internet, started downloading programs, and boom! computer restarted again.

Fortunately, I told the kid to create a restore point before connecting to the internet. 

Going to restore from a restore point, we could see what was downloaded: Chrome, Steam, and two redistributable C++ things. So we went back to the restore point. Connected to the internet but didn't install anything.  Computer restarted again. Went to the restore point - only thing added were the same two C++ things! 

We also checked the display driver info. I attached a picture of what we found there. There is some kind of driver issue, but we can't do anything about it because as soon as we connect to the internet, we get the C++ things installed and go back to the restarts. 

I attached pics of what was installed those two times, and what we found in the display driver info. Sorry for the crappy resolution, but the kid is taking pictures of the screen on his cell phone and then sending them to me via FB Messenger.

Could this mean that the video card is messed up? Or is it just the video display driver - which we can't fix because we can't connect to the internet with the C++ things being downloaded. 

Attached Files

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:40 AM

The only thing I can think of is Steam causing the C++ libraries to be added. If you uninstall Steam just after doing a System Restore do you still get the C++ downloads? 

Was Windows 10 the original OS on the computer? If your son still has the key for Windows 7 it would be possible to install it. 7 will be supported for approx 3 more years.

#14 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:18 PM

Yep. Everything works fine until we connect to the internet.  Computer is stable for hours without the interent. Shortly after connecting, it restarts.  When we look at what has been installed since the computer last worked (see image three above) after going to restore point option, we see that those C++ files have been installed.  Nothing else. We can just sit in front of the computer doing nothing after connecting to the internet and - Boom! Computer restarts after having installed those C++ files. 

Windows also does not show his video card.  We thought maybe he could install the drivers for it. So off he went to a computer lab to download the drivers. Back to the dorm to install the drivers. Computer has been sitting on all that time, not connected to the internet. He starts to install the drivers and - Boom! Computer restarts again. And guess what shows up as having been installed? If you guess C++ files, you are correct. 

Could this be a hardware problem after all?  Should we give up and find other ways to do school work? Then take it to get fixed? Or is it worth trying to install Windows 7? 

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:58 PM

This is a strange problem. I guess the answer for installing Windows 7 is if 7 will work for what he has to accomplish at school. If he has a Windows 7 key then I would go ahead and try installing 7 before taking it to a shop. If there is still a rebooting issue after a Windows 7 install then that confirms it's a hardware problem. 

He can use the same diskpart commands to clean the partitions and start a clean install with Windows 7. Fresh installs of Windows 7 has issues with Security updates but there are some manual downloads that will take care of it. Those we can do after learning if Windows 7 is stable.

It's entirely possible the hardware is not compatible with Windows 10 and Microsoft is coming out with a large update this year called Creators. Who knows what bugs that will have. At least with Windows 7 SP1 you know it will be stable until end of life in 2020. By that time your son will be looking at another computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users