Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird System Hangs - usually forced to restart will sometimes crash on its own

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 l3ounce

l3ounce

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:12 PM

hey guys, 

I've been working on this issue for several months now and I dont know if i'm starting to chase my own tail. I'd like a fresh set of eyes and some outside perspective to hopefully guide me in a new direction. 

My crashes are always preceded by a strange system freeze. I can still move the cursor but i can no longer switch applications, right click, or issue ctrl+alt+del. Once i had a batch rename utility running when this occured and I could watch as it completed processing the batch and when it completed i force restarted the computer and the batch results completed successfully. 

This leads me to believe that windows is just locking down on some process to the extent that nothing else is recognized. As i said i've tried to wait for it to clear up and i've seen it sit for hours only to come back and it will have crashed. 

I noticed in event viewer tons of distributed com errors and attempted to clear the errors using the steps outlined below and it corrected the errors for a 10days maybe. however after they came back I simply reformatted my computer. 

I'm writing the post now because I have a clean install and i'm already seeing the DCom errors. I've not experienced the issue but i thought i would put my information out there and see if anyone can give me some more info to work off or something new to try if i do continue to see the issue going forward. 

I've attached the sysnative report (although i'm not sure if it will be of use since i've not seen a crash from the new install), Performance report, DXdiag, and Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   251.83KB   2 downloadsAttached File  dxdiag.preformance.adminevents.zip.zip   209.12KB   0 downloads

Thanks in advance, 

~l3ounce_

Steps used to clear Dcom issues

1. Open Regedit.
2. Go to HKEY_Classes_Root\CLSID\*CLSID*.
Note: *CLSID* stand for the ID that appears in your event viewer error. In your case, it's {C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}. 
3. Right click on it then select permission. 
4. Click Advance and change the owner to administrator. Also click the box that will appear below the owner line.
5. Apply full control.
6. Close the tab then go to HKEY_LocalMachine\Software\Classes\AppID\*APPID*.
Note: *AppID* is the ID that appears in your event viewer. In your case it's {316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}.
7. Right click on it then select permission.
8. Click Advance and change the owner to administrators.
9. Click the box that will appear below the owner line.
10. Click Apply and grant full control to Administrators.
11. Close all tabs and go to Administrative tool.
12. Open component services.
13. Click Computer, click my computer, then click DCOM.
14. Look for the corresponding service that appears on the error viewer.
Note: For this step, look for the one that appeared at the right panel of the RegEdit. For example, the AppID Registry (316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97) contains the "Immersive Shell" Data with a (Default) as a name. Now look for "Immersive Shell".
15. Right click on it then click properties.
16. Click security tab then click Add User. Add SYSTEM then apply.
17. Tick the Activate local box.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:22 PM

Try following Method One in this guide. It's for Windows 7 but should work with Windows 10. There's not much I can suggest until I get to have a look at the memory dumps...

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users