Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Issue

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:59 AM

Greetings,  just installed win7 on a friends  xp all seems to be working well except for the graphics, when he tries to play any of the installed games(solitaire,hearts,etc) he gets the error message " game is playing in software rendering mode hardware acceleration is either turned off(it's all the way up) or not working etc. Other games(pogo, etc  are working fine) also downloaded games will not play in full screen mode. It's mostly an issue with games. I have attached the specs any help is appreciated thnks

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 26 February 2017 - 09:58 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:58 AM

Can anyone help me out with this all help is appreciated thnks.

Edited by hamluis, 26 February 2017 - 09:55 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:58 AM

Did you inttall the appropriate win 7 graphics driver?

Is hardware acceleration properly enabled?

Louis

#4 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:31 PM

Did you inttall the appropriate win 7 graphics driver?

Is hardware acceleration properly enabled?

Louis

Greetings, not sure of the driver ( was told whatever driver it is came with the pc) The pc is a Gateway 831 GM Media Center Edition. Hardware acceleration is fully enabled. As I stated  it originally came with xp  sp3 pre-installed. He said graphics worked fine no problems.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:53 PM

Of course the graphics worked fine...with XP installed.  When you installed Windows 7, you forced the system to need a new set of drivers for a new O/S.

System dates to 2005, no Win 7 drivers support at Gateway website.

The usual suspect driver websites...claim to have Win 7 drivers but I would never recommend any of those sites for obtaining a driver.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 February 2017 - 03:56 PM.

#6 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:17 PM

Of course the graphics worked fine...with XP installed.  When you installed Windows 7, you forced the system to need a new set of drivers for a new O/S.

System dates to 2005, no Win 7 drivers support at Gateway website.

The usual suspect driver websites...claim to have Win 7 drivers but I would never recommend any of those sites for obtaining a driver.

Louis

That's what I told him.He upgraded the program not the system. Between you and me I told him to get a Dell next time. Thanks for your advice

#7 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:36 AM

Greetings once again, this guy is a diehard, so once again I ask you (or anyone) what graphics driver(video card) would be compatible with this system ? Everything else he says is working fine(if not better than xp) Thanks

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:33 AM

A problem here is that Gateway's support is virtually non-existent, the company stopped making computers quite a while ago and their own support effectively went with it. You can read the specs for the computer here -

https://www.cnet.com/uk/products/gateway-800-series-gm-media-center/specs/

About all I think you can do is to search for an older PCIe video card which does have Win 7 support as the specs show that, ex-works, there is one such slot free. You may have to look at the second hand market to find one and that typically means e-bay.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:40 AM

A problem here is that Gateway's support is virtually non-existent, the company stopped making computers quite a while ago and their own support effectively went with it. You can read the specs for the computer here -

https://www.cnet.com/uk/products/gateway-800-series-gm-media-center/specs/

About all I think you can do is to search for an older PCIe video card which does have Win 7 support as the specs show that, ex-works, there is one such slot free. You may have to look at the second hand market to find one and that typically means e-bay.

Chris Cosgrove

With all do respect, I don't think this applies to my friends pc, he has a gateway 831GM 32 bit(see specs above #1) I do agree with gateway support it stinks. Thanks

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

If the owner/user of this system is adamant that anything be tried...I would oblige him and try the "we have drivers for you" websites, after advising him of what I consider the risk with using such.

Alternately...he can install the appropriate Vista drivers and hope for the best.

Louis

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:50 PM

see specs above #1  (quoted from #9)

I did see that you had included specs but as a .ZIP file. Like many here I am allergic to downloading files from sources I don't know. Can I suggest that the next time you want to include specs of a computer, always useful, use 'Speccy' by Piriform (a free download from BC) and just post the URL to the unique report. If you don't wish to install it there is a portable version which is just an .EXE file and will happily run from a memory stick with no installation. Once you have run it all you need to do is copy the URL it produces and paste it into a post the next time you need it.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:42 AM

see specs above #1  (quoted from #9)

I did see that you had included specs but as a .ZIP file. Like many here I am allergic to downloading files from sources I don't know. Can I suggest that the next time you want to include specs of a computer, always useful, use 'Speccy' by Piriform (a free download from BC) and just post the URL to the unique report. If you don't wish to install it there is a portable version which is just an .EXE file and will happily run from a memory stick with no installation. Once you have run it all you need to do is copy the URL it produces and paste it into a post the next time you need it.

Chris Cosgrove

The download file is Speccy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users