Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reinstalling firefox

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:06 AM

For some reason, a number of my sites don't open on firefox. Sometimes they do open but when i try to log into certain sites, I get HTML code instead of the actual website. I can open all these sites with Chrome.

I'm thinking that my Firefox program is corrupted and has to be reinstalled. the question is if I uninstall it and then reinstall it, I don't want to lose any data. I'm not sure if data is even saved on firefox but thought I would check before I do anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:39 AM

The 'data' that is usually saved will be your settings and add ons

Settings would be the home page you have elected to have.....the download location will revert to downloads (in case tyou have changed it to somewhere else0....and any other settings you have changed in the 'preferences ' area.

Add ons. will  be wiped out, and you will have to re install them.

I use Firefox Sync.

https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Firefox-Sync-Settings/Sync-bookmarks-tabs-history-and-passwords-on-Android/ta-p/36456

If i have casue to reinstall or reset firefox then I just open sync, and it does the setting up for me.

If you dont have too many add ons or altered settings etc etc ...there is probably no need for sync.

RESET FIREFOX

Firefox will save these items:
  • Bookmarks
  • Browsing and download history
  • Passwords
  • Open windows and tabs
  • Cookies
  • Web form auto-fill information
  • Personal dictionary
These items and settings will be removed:

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:21 PM

Thanks, that's great information. I was just looking at some of the links in the text you had sent me and had noticed that Firefox is coming out with a new version in March, which is days away. I'm wondering if I simply allow the automatic update then I won't have to reinstall all those add-ons. And if the new version doesn't solve my problem (as I assume it rewrites the old version), then uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox wouldn't have made a difference. I would suspect that this would fix the problem but we'll see. If it doesn't, then I'll address it at that time. Meanwhile, I can use Chrome which appears to work with all my websites.

#4 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:31 PM

Just curious, what if Firefox Sync? How is it different from uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox? Does it retain your add-ons or do you have to reinsall them afterwards?

#5 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:46 PM

(1)I'm thinking that my Firefox program is corrupted and has to be reinstalled.

(2) the question is if I uninstall it and then reinstall it,

(3) I don't want to lose any data. I'm not sure if data is even saved on firefox but thought I would check before I do anything.

1. I'm thinking that my Firefox program is corrupted  - hardly to have been violated
  2. the question is if I uninstall it and then reinstall it - hardly this will repair, but minor possibility is
  3. I don't want to lose any data - the most likely is a user profile (user data) corrupted

The easiest way to check - try a new Mozilla user profile (make one). Do not delete the old, before everything is clear.

If the new profile works, then is all clear - old profile is corrupted.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:53 PM

""For some reason, a number of my sites don't open on firefox ""

@ godzilla....also remember that this may be a sign of infection

If resetting Firefox does not cure the problem, you should start a new topic in AII  (am i infected)....HERE

Firefox Sync stores your tabs, bookmarks, passwords, history , add ons, and preferences on firefox's server.

So when  you reset firefox, all you have to do to get all those settings back is go to firefox preferences (click on the three horizontal lines in the top right hand corner of any firefox page, then cclick on preferences and then click on Sync )

so reinstalling add ons etc etc is easy as pie. !

You can also make a new profile...

THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE HERE

Just follow them step by step....any questions...come back here and ask.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users