Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Updates Failing to Install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MarcinMN

MarcinMN

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:49 PM

Hello,

I'm having some issues with a couple of Windows 10 updates.  KB3213986 and KB3211320 are failing to install on a daily basis.  Every night when I shut the computer down it wants to "update and shut down."  It does this fine, but when I start it up the next morning I get a notification that tells me that updates failed to install.

It's been trying for a couple months now and it's starting to irritate me because it keeps trying every day.  I've been working with some people on the Microsoft Forums but it hasn't accomplished much.  I figured I would try here since this site helped me get rid of some malicious programming a couple years back.

The folks on the MS forum had me do SFC, DISM, Malwarebytes and ADW cleaner.  They also had me try uninstalling Norton 360 and running them without that in case it was "interfering" with anything.

These were the general results of my most recent run of these:

SFC found no integrity violations.

DISM scan found no corruption

DISCM restore failed the first time I tried, but the second time it made it to 100% and completed successfully.

Malwarebytes found a couple of registry items that were quarantined.

ADW Cleaner found 20-some items that I had it clean out.

I've attached a couple logs that might be helpful.  Also, here is a link to my DISM log from last night:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmST_x4P1dJLgyP-uI5ZpcFbw3_1

Let me know if you need anything else from me.  I'd like to figure this out without having to take it in to a repair place since I fear they will want to do a fresh install of Windows 10.  Since this is an upgrade on a former Windows 7 machine, I'm assuming that would require me actually buying a copy of Windows 10.

Thanks!

Marc

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:20 PM

Have you downloaded the Microsoft tool and used that?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 MarcinMN

MarcinMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

Today I ran the troubleshooter that is already available in Windows 10.  It claims to have found some things and fixed them, but the updates still aren't installing.

Would the one downloaded from the Microsoft site be more thorough?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users