Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is another external hardware backup medium

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 huntsin2

huntsin2

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:25 PM

Hi,

After having an external hard drive that became unreadable I am interested in another type of backup medium like an external bluray drive. However, even the bdxl discs are only 100 GB. I have a couple of backups that are in the 150 and 160 GB range. 

I don't know much about tapes but I thought I saw that they can hold from 200-400 GB.

I am looking for something that can connect to a usb port on a laptop.

Could someone please provide me with information about tape drives?

And are there any other feasible alternatives for backups other than tape drives and external hard drives?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 25 February 2017 - 04:55 PM.
Moved from 'External hardware' to 'Backup, imaging, etc.'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:17 PM

Hard drives are still the best backups for the money, as 2 TB drives are about $75....

Yes, a drive can fail, so, .....either buy two of them, and/or, back up precious/critical stuff onto free cloud accounts as well....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:31 PM

Is there a way to split up a backup that's say 150 GB onto two Blu-ray Discs that are 100 GB each?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:25 PM

Very little of the above is actually aimed at the OP's question, the pros and cons of tape.

For tape - it's cheap, it has - depending on the sytem used - huge data capacity, terabytes and up.

Against tape - it's relatively slow, especially on restore, it is virtually impossible to search tape to find that one file that got corrupted or deleted.

The earlier posters have pointed out that other systems have advantages over tape and I have to agree with them.. Yes it is possible to split a backup of 150GB across two bluray discs but I think you would have to do that manually which is easy enough. But if you want to image your system then you would be far better sticking with external hard drives. Yes, you had one die but presumably the originals of the data on it were still on your system, otherwise it was being used as an external data store and not as a backup.

I personally prefer hard drives and I have 2 x 2TB models on my desk as backups, each contains as far as possible an exact copy of what is on my internal hard drives. This means that I have three copies of my data - one inside my computer and two sitting on my desk. The Counsel of Perfection would say I should only have one copy on my desk, the other should be somewhere else in case my house burns down !  But, hey, nobody is perfect !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:16 PM

How much are you willing to spend?

How much data total do you need to back up?

How long are you planning on keeping the data?

How often do you need to restore?

Depending on the amount of data you need to back up you could go with a SSD in an enclosure for $300 and up for about 1TB or you can pick up a SSD drive and put it in an enclosure yourself for $250 or more.

#6 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:54 PM

Thanks to all for your replies thus far. Thank you to Chris Cosgrove for the comments about tape.

I believe I am going to go with an external blu ray burner. I will just use a software like BurnAware and do disc spanning (spreading the backup image over two discs).

I would like to spend about $300 at most, and there is a highly rated external blu ray burner for about $110 on Amazon with prime.

I also found this site http://www.pcworld.com/article/2984597/storage/hard-core-data-preservation-the-best-media-and-methods-for-archiving-your-data.html

Which talks about data archiving, and if I ever wanted to back up something that would last a really long time, blu ray seems to degrade the least.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users