Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you delete the "Settings" directory on a rooted Android smartphone?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

Hello,

My friend and I got in a little arguement about Android OS we'd like to settle, but we're not particularly knowledgable, so we decided to ask here for further details:

Is it true that on a smartphone which runs Android OS, such as the Samsung Galaxy S7, once you root it, you get privileged access which lets you change virtually everything you wish on your Android?

This is what my friend seems to think, however I am not really sure that you can, for example, delete the "Settings" menu and directory from your Android smartphone even if rooted.

Which one of us is right? - If you don't need it, can you delete the whole "Settings" menu on a rooted Android smartphone, so that it no longer exists, is not visible and can't be accessed anymore? Or are you just allowed to permanently delete, NOT just disable and hide, the bloatware pre-installed apps which do not include such core apps as the "Settings" menu?

Hope the smart guys here settle it for us.
Cheers! :)

PS. Sorry for any mistakes in language as English isn't my native tongue.

Edited by Just_One_Question, 24 February 2017 - 03:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:28 PM

Root is the super user, who can do anything. And we mean anything.

Above quote from: What does rooting your phone actually mean?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:54 PM

Root is the super user, who can do anything. And we mean anything.

Above quote from: What does rooting your phone actually mean?

Damn...
:D

Well, I guess this settles it for us. Thank you very much, you are so kind. :)

Just one follow-up question if you don't mind. If you disable via root pretty much everything on your smartphone which makes it "smart", and only leave let's say the Calling cababilities, Calls history for up to 10 numbers you last communicated with, Contacts, Messages, FM radio, Calendar, Calculator, Alarm clock and Flashlight, and you delete everything else even the software part of the Camera, would you achieve much higher stand-by and talk battery time on your phone than advertised?

That's all. Thanks once again!

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:01 PM

Logic would say so. But the question is why? Why not use an app like Greenify or the Doze feature in Android 7? Rooting to turn a smart phone into a feature phone kind of defeats the purpose of owning a powerful device. Unless you're doing it just to say I can. Then again, why? :)

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:47 PM

Logic would say so. But the question is why? Why not use an app like Greenify or the Doze feature in Android 7? Rooting to turn a smart phone into a feature phone kind of defeats the purpose of owning a powerful device. Unless you're doing it just to say I can. Then again, why? :)

Thanks for the speedy answer. :)
Well, the question was purely hypothetical, however my buddy has a feature phone as his daily driver & he says he doesn't need any more functionality, but he has not-so-great hearing. He has noticed, though, that smartphones as compared to pretty much all feature phones have better sound-to-ear quality during calls. Maybe due to smartphones' bigger size or just plainly better technology they don't sound as much as if the phone conversation is through 2 wired metal cans.

Furthermore, he likes to have a battery big enough to supply him with atleast 500-1000 hours of stand-by time, as it is in his Nokia 220 (single SIM).

This is why, combining the above two factors, he had an idea. He wants to buy one of those smartphones produced by the American company "Blu" from their "Energy" line up which come standard with around ~900 hours of battery time and Android OS 6.0 . Then, he wants to root the phone and delete everything and only leave the 9 apps which I outlined in my previous post in this topic. He also wants to leave the small battery, time and strenght of mobile connection identificators at the top of the screen intact. This way + deleting animations and setting the brightness somewhat lower, he hopes to achieve a 1400+ hours of stand-by time and 24+ hours of talk time on his phone.
He basically wants to get a smartphone which acts as a feature phone, but has better sound-to-ear quality for up to $250-$300. Plus, I get the impression that even if he fails, he'd like to have some fun tinkering with an Android phone. Worst case scenario - he still has his current feature phone to fall back to.

This is basically it. Hope I satisfied your curiousity and once again thank you for your response. :)

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:28 PM

What was old is all new again..........

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nokia-phone-comeback_us_58a4701de4b03df370dc30be

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:16 AM

What was old is all new again..........http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nokia-phone-comeback_us_58a4701de4b03df370dc30be

Haha! Yeah, I read about that. There seems to be some sort of a trend for many companies to "repackage" and sell nostalgia back to the consumers, in my view, but then again, when was this not a trend.

I always admired Nokia phones for their durability and long-lasting battery. However, I never quite got all the buzz surrounding the Nokia 3310. Albeit quite sterdy, I've always been annoyed that when you drop it, it falls apart in what feels like 1000-piece puzzle. Furthermore the old Nokia 3310 has always been associated with long battery life, but if you actually check the figures, it becomes evident that is not the case. It has around 260 hours of stand-by time, which is about the same as your average smartphone nowadays, I believe. It's nowhere near the record-high of 2400 hours of the Philips X1560.
As for the "new" Nokia 3310, I think it looks interesting, but we'll see for sure tomorrow. I don' like that it will come with Symbian Series 30+ OS as I've found a couple of bugs in it with mine old Nokia. One, for example, which cost me a lot of headaches is that I used the drafts function in messages as a platform for some important notes. Little did I know, once you make one draft and save it, when you make & save a 2nd one, it automatically deletes the first one. In other words you only get to have 1 draft saved. Unfortunately that cost me the loss of some very important information at the time.
I also didn't like to hear that the Nokia 3310 would come with a colour display. I much more think that the classic monochrome one would supply the new phone with a much more retro vibe, which is ultimately what the potential buyers of this device, I think, are after. Nokia doesn't seem to get that with this niche of the market the race is not to the top in terms of functionality, but rather the other way around.
I am not quite keen on the suggested price tag as well, but as long as the new Nokia 3310 comes with a sterdy, waterproof case, MUCH higher battery stand-by time of 1000+ hours to justify its legacy, coupled with a retro design and feel, I think it stands a strong chance of becoming the de facto leader in the feature phones market in the Western world. I know that I'm probably nit-picking especially when I say the price might be a little high, but let's not forget that my 2nd phone, which is a Yezz C23A, cost me $22.99 off-contract and unlocked.

This is basically my view on the subject of the relaunch of the Nokia 3310. :)

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:26 AM

I am just going to throw in here that on the Samsung Galaxy S7, whether on Marshmallow (Android 6) or Nougat (Android 7), the app power saving feature is on by default and anything that has not been used in the last 3 days (which for most of us is most of the apps on the phone - ignoring things like Twilight which run as daemon processes) get shut down and stay that way until/unless you directly invoke them again.

Mind you, this feature is not stupid with regard to things like the "Phone" app which must be in an always on state.  You have to be careful, though, that you don't turn it on for say, the Calendar app (for which it is off by default) if you use the Calendar to give you reminders, as you won't get reminders if it's been put into "deep sleep" by the app power saving feature.  I generally do most of my actual Calendar management from my laptop but I still want the nags to appear on my smart phone when I'm out and about.

If your friend does not want an actual smart phone there still exist a lot of alternatives with great sound quality that he could replace his existing phone with.

I have actually grown to almost hate the term smart phone.   These things are true microcomputers with a phone feature and for a great many people that phone feature gets virtually no use.  I've been amazed at how "everything old is new again" with regard to how texting has taken off.   When the phone first appeared it was a revolution because you didn't need written communication anymore for so many things.  Now that it has long been ubiquitous and can be very intrusive people find it quicker and easier to send texts which limits their time involved and those getting them can respond "at their leisure" (even if that leisure happens to be 2 seconds later).  Mini-email.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:45 AM

I am just going to throw in here...

Thank you for your comprehensive response! :) I wholeheartedly agree with what you wrote.

Get this though, the reason that I am posting this topic here and not my friend is that even though he's 21, he doesn't use the Internet. :D He understands it, has used it and doesn't mind it, but he just "doesn't find it useful or contributing to his life". That's why apart from the sound-to-ear quality of the smartphones that I've mentioned previously, he basically wouldn't benefit from a full fledged phone. And so did our argument about rooting, "cleansing", increasing the battery life and plainly overall "basic-fying" a smartphone started.

If your friend does not want an actual smart phone there still exist a lot of alternatives with great sound quality that he could replace his existing phone with.

Can you provide an example? We've tried the sound quality during conversations on a Sony Ericsson T100, Sony Ericsson K700, Sony Ericsson W300, LG GS290 (Cookie Fresh), ZTE Blade (1), Samsung E2600, Nokia 220 & a Yezz C23A. Only the ZTE Blade had a clear and crisp sound. We are looking not so for a loud sound as much as not a muffled one, especially with words with many vowels. On the Nokia 220, for example, it sounds way to whistly when such words are present.

Once more, thanks for the response. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 25 February 2017 - 12:24 PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:36 PM

Actually, what I'd suggest is that you ask around in your "senior circle" and/or "technophobe circle" of friends regarding the phones that they use and ask if you can place a call from them.

No matter what I might suggest, and I have not come close to trying most that are on the market now, any given model might be out of production "by tomorrow."

Over the years I've had Nokia (Shorty from Virgin Mobile), Kyocera (Marbl & Kona flips, Jax candy bar) and an LG candy bar phone whose model name I can't recall right now and all have had excellent sound quality, most better than many smart phones I've used.

I actually still have Virgin Mobile PayLo service on a Kyocera Marbl because all I wanted was phone service, and the plan I have is grandfathered at such a low price that it made sense to keep it.

To be perfectly honest, and I have some high frequency hearing loss, it's been a very long time since I've had any mobile phone that had what I'd consider to be "bad" sound quality.  Most have had adaptive volume, noise cancelling, and other features for ages now.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:33 PM

Actually, what I'd suggest is that you ask around in your "senior circle" ...

Thank you for the response.
Yeah, I guess there really is no sure-way through this quagmire; phones will have to be tested as you've suggested. Ironically when you go to buy a phone these days at the store, be it a basic one or a smartphone, they usually let you test it all, apart from the actual phone app (presumably because that would require too much effort in opening up and changing the SIM card of every phone you want to test, I suppose). We'll ask around different people. Might want to try the Nokia 150 and - provided that reviews are positive - the Nokia 3310. And whatever else is available now of course. And should our efforts prove to be futile in the end, well, I guess that would just open up an opportunity to increase more eye-to-eye conversations - "carpe diem" or whatever it was that those hipsters always talk about, he he.

:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 25 February 2017 - 04:35 PM.

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:57 PM

I know you don't live in the UK but it might be worth your friend with the hearing proble searching the Royal National Institute for the Deaf's web-site, or a similar national one. The question came up at one of my teaching groups last week and they list a large range of phones of all capabilities with enhanced sound output. See -

https://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/

Chris Cosgrove

#13 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:25 AM

I know you don't live in the UK but it might be worth your friend with the hearing proble searching the Royal National Institute for the Deaf's web-site, or a similar national one. The question came up at one of my teaching groups last week and they list a large range of phones of all capabilities with enhanced sound output. See -

https://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/

Chris Cosgrove

Thank you, that is really helpful! :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 28 February 2017 - 10:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users