Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best antivirus for Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Sanakhan

Sanakhan

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:58 AM

I have a "Haier laptop Y11b", with windows 10 installed.we know that windows 10 contain a builtin antivirus software "windows Defender" Now My question is that Is windows Defender enough for a protected system or is it necessary to install any additional antivirus software????? and if so then which antivirus will be best for windows 10?????[/size]

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 10 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 eth4n

eth4n

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

Hello, I think Windows Defender already provides very good protection, so I'd recommend sticking with it.

However, if you want an alternative, take a look here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2316629

Regards,

Ethan

If I don't reply within 48 hours, feel free to PM me.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:59 PM

Consensus says that Windows Defender is plenty, I have used it exclusively for the two years that I have been using Windows 10 and it is quick, lightweight and powerful.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:25 PM

Never nothing else, Windows Defender is absolutely enough. Maybe add MalwareBytes Anti Malware Premium. This is the best combination.

#5 Sanakhan

Sanakhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:40 PM

Never nothing else, Windows Defender is absolutely enough. Maybe add MalwareBytes Anti Malware Premium. This is the best combination.

Then it's great because I have already installed the free version of MalwareByte....

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:39 PM

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no one best anti-virus.

Windows 8/10 Defender is just as good as any other free antivirus solution (and probably easier to use for the novice) without bundled toolbars or nagging popups.

If you have Windows 10 Anniversary update, it includes Limited Periodic Scanning and allows you to also use a third party anti-virus program as your primary protection.

Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 Creators Update includes always-on protection which consists of real-time protection, behavior monitoring and heuristics to identify and block malware based on known suspicious and malicious activity. Windows Defender Antivirus Creators Update is also compatible with any third-party anti-virus.

However, I have read complaints from users who reported they encountered problems with updating definitions, error messages, constant scans and Defender turning off for no apparent reason. Regardless, it is still worth a try if you are not interested in a paid for solution.

Although Windows 8/10 Defender provides some anti-malware protection...it is weak, meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an effective anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Neil_Hines

Neil_Hines

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:01 AM

I have a "Haier laptop Y11b", with windows 10 installed.we know that windows 10 contain a builtin antivirus software "windows Defender" Now My question is that Is windows Defender enough for a protected system or is it necessary to install any additional antivirus software????? and if so then which antivirus will be best for windows 10?????[/size]

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 10 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Windows Defender it's the best free antivirus still, I'm using it and never give me any problem only you have to update your antivirus once in a week.

#8 MichelBevan

MichelBevan

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:25 AM

I won't hesitate to suggest Bitdefender. I have been using it for last 6 months. It's perfect. Also, you can find some discount coupon like this one https://www.couponbuffer.com/coupons/bitdefender/. Unfortunately, I didn't know about this type of offers before purchasing my antivirus and I already subscribed it at full price :(

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,268 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

I have a noob question,  I did add Malwarebytes Premium trial.  I run it, it tells me that there are 328 infected.  but the window is not big enough, cannot be made bigger.  I cannot see the quarantine options, or removal options.  It is starting to get really annoying.  I am second guessing the money I spent on my degrees LOL.  I know the answer is probably very simple and I am just missing it.  But I would like to remove what it says needs removed.  But am unable too.  Please help before I start losing my hair LOL.

Thanks in advance, 

Glen J

I would suggest starting a topic in the Am I Infected? What Do I Do? forum.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,305 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:35 AM

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no one best anti-virus.

Every time the question, "What is the best antivirus?," gets asked I wish that this one line would be automatically posted by "the BC bot."

Even if you are well-versed in this technology, the metrics used for comparison will skew test results depending on which are used, omitted, and the relative weight given by a reviewer to a specific metric.

It is impossible to answer the question, "What is the best antivirus?," absent a lot of other information about what's being sought as far as priorities in protection and if those are known, and a little research is done, the answer becomes clear based on context.

The question as asked generically is akin to asking, "What's the best thing to eat?," to a random crowd and expecting a consensus to arise.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,917 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

Every time the question, "What is the best antivirus?," gets asked I wish that this one line would be automatically posted by "the BC bot."

That is why those same comments are included in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#12 Nevi

Nevi

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:02 AM

If I was in a situation where I needed to find a free antivirus, as I dont trust Windows Defender as only protection, I would pick Bitdefender free or Panda free,even AVG free would be better IMO.I think its great if someone use WD and are satisfied, but I couldnt do it.

I would be really uncomfortable using netbanking, and buying things over the net with WD as my only security. But different strokes for different people. :guitar:

Edited by Nevi, 14 April 2017 - 04:03 AM.

Prevx 3.0 with Safeonline.Sandboxie,NAT router.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,917 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:16 AM

That's probably one reason why Microsoft made the changes to WD to allow users to also use a third party anti-virus program as their primary protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#14 giantatx

giantatx

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:36 AM

AVG Free always installs really annoying spyware which can be difficult to remove 

Mysearch.Avg.com

AVG will do any update, ask you if you agree to the T&Cs, and then sneakily install the program on your system.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,917 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:02 PM

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made the decision a few years ago to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information. More recently (September 2015), it was reported that AVG privacy policy update allows it to sell your browsing history...meaning AVG allows the collection and sale of personal information relating to browsing history, searches, location and meta-data and sharing that data with affiliated partners, search providers and resellers.

There have been other reports of AVG exposing and collecting personal data.There have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools.There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions. There have been numerous reported problems with computers after using features like PC Analyzer and AVG PC TuneUp which purport to fix registry errors and various optimizing tweaks which make changes to system settings. Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons...read Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools.

There have been complaints of AVG Secure Search and AVG Security Toolbar repeatedly being reinstalled after AVG updates itself even though users intentionally choose to remove them. And finally there have been many user complaints about the lack of adequate AVG Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of their product.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative anti-virus solution.

BTW, you may want to read...
Windows Insider MVP 2017

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users