Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows says filename is invalid...won't delete it.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:35 AM

Hi,

A friend of mine gave me his new MP3 player and asked me to transfer a set of audio MP3 files onto it. These consist of a file folder, containing 66 other file folders that contain the MP3 files. In total, there are about 5,000 MP3 files in the whole set. I figured that the easiest way to do this was to connect his player and my player to the computer and copy the folders and files from one player to the other. (By the way, none of these files are copyrighted or have DRM associated with them.) The files take up about 6 GB of space, and the player holds 8 GB.

Using Windows Explorer, I clicked the top-level folder on my player and then dragged it to the Music folder on his player. The file transfer started and the status window said that it would take over an hour to do the transfer, so I walked away to do something else. I came back later to check the progress and found that there was a window open telling me that an error had occurred during the transfer. This was after about one-third of the folders had been transferred.

I attempted to delete the last folder that had been created, assuming that this was where the error occurred. Windows could not delete the folder because of an error in a file that it contained. When I opened the problem folder, I saw a file name that was represented by a black vertical bar with a white dot in the center. I could not find a character like this in the ASCII code set. I tried to delete the file and got the following message window :

Attached File  Invalid File.JPG   26.66KB   0 downloads

I attempted to rename the file, but this could not be done either.

I ran CHKDSK /F  on the MP3 Player, and supposedly some fixes were made to the file system, but the bad file is still there. Can someone give me some insight into what is going on here and give me some idea how to solve it?

Thanks.

Edited by Warthog-Fan, 24 February 2017 - 11:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:56 AM

What file system is on the MP3 player? I am assuming it's FAT32. The MP3 player is attached via a USB?

Open a command prompt and change to the directory the file is in. Type the following command

dir  <enter>

Is the file listed?

What drive letter is assigned to the MP3 player? 

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:50 PM

John,

Yes, the MP3 player is formatted as FAT32.

Here is a screen shot of the Command Prompt window showing the folder that contains the defective file.

Attached File  Bogus Dir.JPG   46.51KB   1 downloads

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,650 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:58 PM

So from the image I am assuming you are in the folder with the zero byte file. Type the following command. This will delete everything in the folder so make sure this folder only has the one zero byte file.

Del *.*

If this fails the only other way I have found to delete zero byte files in Windows is using a live linux disk.

#5 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

John,

Unfortunately, that didn't work either. I was trying to get rid of this empty file in case it was causing a problem, but maybe if I just leave it in the 999_Bogus folder, it won't hurt anything to leave it there.

Thanks for the assistance.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,650 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:39 PM

Correct, having the one zero byte file will not cause any issue. 

#7 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:56 PM

John,

More info. This may be a problem with the player itself, but I guess I'll have to contact SanDisk to get their opinion.

After looking at what is going on more closely, it seems that I can transfer 129 files to the folder, and then the error occurs. When I look at the Properties for the folder, I see that the folder is marked Read Only. If I clear the Read Only attribute and try to transfer more files, the error occurs immediately and Properties once more shows that the folder is Read Only. I also get another oddly-named zero byte file.

The manual that comes with the player does not mention anything about the number of files in a folder being limited to a certain number.

I did a complete transfer of all of these files to a different player a few weeks ago and did not experience this error, so it may be player-related. I will post back later with a solution in case anyone else has the same difficulty, unless, of course, you have something else you'd like me to try.

Edited by Warthog-Fan, 24 February 2017 - 10:00 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,650 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:16 PM

I don't know the model number but most MP3 players allow you to reformat the memory. That may solve the problem but I would call Sandisk first.

#9 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:24 AM

John,

I'll check back in when I get some more info, and thanks for the help so far.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,650 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:35 AM

No Problem,

Good Luck and fingers crossed.

#11 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

John,

Okay, here's how I got it to work. Instead of trying to copy the entire group of folders and files at one time, by dragging the "Bible Study" folder to the Music folder in the player, I manually created a folder in the Music folder of the player called "Bible Study". Then I copied each of the subfolders individually to the Bible Study folder in the player. This seemed to work alright and I did not get any errors. It was just kind of tedious and took over an hour, but I guess it was worth it. I'm not sure why just dragging and dropping the whole Bible Study folder to the SanDisk player was causing the errors, but all's well that ends well.

Thanks again for the assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users