Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead.net

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:47 AM

dead.net

My computer says this site is infected, is the same report on other computers?

Jim

Edited by hamluis, 24 February 2017 - 05:59 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Gen Security - Hamluis.

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:18 AM

Clean site report from VirusTotal

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:26 AM

What is it on your pc that tells you that the site is 'infected'....?.......

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:31 AM

there is a form from Microsoft that says or warns that site could produce malware.

Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#5 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:40 AM

let me see if I can paste it-

Content on this website has been reported as unsafe
gratefuldead.warnermusic.com
Hosted by:  www.dead.net

We recommend that you do not continue to this website.   Go to my home page instead   This website has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats to your computer that might reveal personal or financial information.     More information

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:45 AM

Music sites of that nature are renowned for the sorts of activity thatMsft have listed ther....taking personal and financial info...

I would take notice of the warning

Identity theft is a bad feeling (if you register on the site)....and so is the theft of your financial information (if you buy anything from the site or its affiliate sites)

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#7 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:26 AM

thanks,

Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:33 AM

my pleasure.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,440 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:59 AM

It's good to be cautious, however www.dead.net is indeed the official website for the band The Grateful Dead, and is owned by Rhino Entertainment, the catalog division of Warner Music Group. A bit tough if we can't safely go there. My Emsisoft Anti-Malware which has the reputation of being picky, flags nothing there.

I'm guessing you're using Internet Explorer and the indication is coming from it? That means someone has submitted a report, but if nothing else confirms it, it's likely to be a false positive or a quickly dealt with issue.

Strangely enough, Warner accidentally flagged themselves last year:

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/warner-bros-flags-its-own-site-for-piracy-1327909

If you suspect you may be suffering something like a re-direct, a thorough malware scan could be a wise precaution.

Edited by Platypus, 24 February 2017 - 10:01 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:22 PM

Many site rating vendors (i.e. McAfee WebAdvisor (formerly SiteAdvisor), WOT, Google's Safe Browsing, Avira Scout browser, Symantec WS.Reputation.1, Webutation, avast! Online Security Plugin (formerly WebRep), etc) use a system of volunteer testers that continually patrol the Internet to browse sites, download files, and submit information. All the results are documented and supplemented with feedback from users, Web site owners, and analysis from their own employees. The advising site vendor then summarizes the results typically into a color-coded red, yellow and green ratings scale to help inform Web users as to the safety of each tested site. While these tools are useful, they are not foolproof and sometimes may provide misleading ratings. Just because you visit a risky site, that does not automatically mean the site is bad or that your system has been infected by going there. In contrast, going to a safe site could even prompt a warning. There are legitimate programs available on web sites which are falsely detected by various anti-virus programs from time to time. This sometimes results in an inaccurate site rating/warning of potentially dangerous software when that is not the case. The use of rating sites does not always guarantee an accurate rating of the results they provide and can provide a false sense of security especially for the novice user.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users