Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why waiting for mainstream AMD Ryzen is a good idea

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:50 AM

So AMD is just about ready to release its new set of AM4 Processors which according to numerous sources will totally kick the pants off of any Intel offering however there is a bit of a caveat:

The mainstream processors AKA processors us non enthusiasts and non rich people cannot afford will not come out until after Q1 which for those who dont know what that means that is the months between January and March.

This means the AMD mainstreams will not come out until at the very least the month of April and the latest June and those of us who cannot afford a processor thats more than $120 well they will have to wait a little longer.
Right now its tax season and that means a lot of us are getting money to put forward toward a build however the least expensive one of AMD's initial enthusiast grade CPU's will cost $320 USD.
You can buy a cheaper core i5 for that kind of money yes but honestly with the news that the $260 1600X will be on par with a $617 core i7 well waiting for your build is a very very good idea.
I know some of you want to make your builds now,m heck if i could do it now I sure would but I know I wont buy anything for my new build until at least April... well maybe a case but I have to see how that will go personally as i have a high phone bill to pay.
In any case I know that most of us want to go out and buy a new machine and replace a old computer or something.
But if anything I personally am is patient, I need to conserve some money anyhow so this waiting period is to my advantage.
And to be honest i think a lot of you here who are planning to build should do the same.

Edited by MadmanRB, 24 February 2017 - 02:54 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:38 AM

I agree and AMD is going to drastically change things which is why, right now is the worst time to buy a CPU  ... unless you buy budget or you just use what you have for now. Do no buy Ryzen "out of the gate" the motherboards are not here yet. No reviews. Like a recent thread I responded to I would wait until July. Patience is key. Let it mature a tad and the motherboards mature, and R5 series arrive.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:51 AM

I am hoping to build my machine by May at the very least course that depends on the R5 series

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:18 PM

It's also been confirmed that AMD does not plan on offering drivers for Windows 7. Ryzen is Windows 10 only which most likely everybody already knows.

http://hothardware.com/news/amd-denies-report-of-official-ryzen-windows-7-drivers

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:50 PM

Ryzen does not OFFICIALLY support Windows 7. That doesn't mean Ryzen won't work on Windows 7. I expect that some non-critical features won't work but Windows 7 will still be usable with Ryzen. Same what happened with Kaby Lake.

Edited by hamluis, 24 February 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:53 PM

Okay, that's good to know, thanks. 

Edited by hamluis, 24 February 2017 - 03:01 PM.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:59 PM

Ryzen does not OFFICIALLY support Windows 7. That doesn't mean Ryzen won't work on Windows 7. I expect that some non-critical features won't work but Windows 7 will still be usable with Ryzen. Same what happened with Kaby Lake.

indeed, I know I plan to run Linux on it

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:41 PM

i was an amd user since 2001 but ...

here is my story with my fm1 socket amd a6

in 2012 i have decided to build an amd custom pc especially for audio and video 

i bought the fm1 socket a6 3650 four cores cpu with a four gb of fast ram...

within an hour my four core pc was up and running.... but the performance was not was i expecting from  a four cores cpu...

after two days i have bought all the parts to build a new pc, an intel based this time

my budget was very limited so i bought the cheapest celeron i could found, the celeron g530

the performance of my little celeron g530 is much better than the amd a6 !

amd a6 cpu was a big disapointment for me...

my old amd pc is still sitting in a room since nobody want to buy it... (i haven't mentioned that i have also an amd pc in my profile)

even the top of the line fx cpu's cannot change the things for better for the amd...

on papers ryzen cpu's looks quite good but is not clear if are much better from the intel cpu's

i assume the price for the ryzen cpu's will be high although not higher than the i7

we ll see...

Edited by nickos, 25 February 2017 - 01:25 PM.

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:07 PM

A6-3650 is much faster than Celeron G530. If it's not, then you are using crappy software.

There's no need to assume anything about pricing as we already know pricing of Ryzen 8C/16T models:

Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6/4.0 GHz 95W $499

Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4/3.8 GHz 95W $399

Ryzen 7 1700 3.0/3.7 GHz 65W $329

For comparison, i7-6900K 3.2/3.7 GHz 140W $1089.00

#10 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

many thanks for the ryzen infos !!!!!

not crappy software... but old versions (2004 to 2008)  os windows xp

rendering time for video on amd was about 47 minutes while the rendering time for the g530 was 39 minutes not bad at all for a forty euros cpu

from the above mentioned prices my budget is allowed the ryzen 7 1700 but no one retailer here have any further infos for order..

thanks

#11 Diwiak

Diwiak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:11 PM

Agree with you. Buying it right now in preorder is only for adventurers :-)

There are no reviews, no overclocking reports, no coolers(our local estore have 1 (one!) kind of aircooler specificaly for AM4), few expensive mainboards.. Iam looking forward for lower grade CPUs too, because I think the price/performance(overclocked performance) value will be MUCH higher. And not rush, this needs time, some late autumn when it should be all out clear and prices calmed down.

What Iam dissapointed is need of a new cooler or conversion kit(because od slightly different mount dimension), but I really like identical socket for all CPU grades. Hopefully this new platform will last long time and future upgrade will consist only of new fresh CPU  :thumbup2:

Hopefully you did it well, AMD, once again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users