Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i need help trying to format laptop hard disc wiped with "wave"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ozart1

ozart1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:17 AM

i have a 250gb and 320gb laptop hard disc that was wiped using something called "Wave". not sure what that is and cannot get drives to read and format. can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:12 AM

How are you accessing the drives, and how do they appear in Disk Management?

If they have been zero filled they should be able to be initialized, partitioned and formatted in DM.

If they have been Hardware Full Disk Encrypted by software from seemingly defunct computer security company Wave Computing, then the drives go in the nearest bin unless you can obtain the passwords.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 ozart1

ozart1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:31 AM

thank you for the response. i've had success formatting a few of these drives, others show about 129mb, still others get started in the process and reach a point to show an error. i'm hopeful that it is operator error rather than the drives being bad. i tried this forum thinking someone out there would have an answer (you did), or the software, or be able to point me in the right direction. based on your response, the password would be with the from whomever i got these from? or available from another source (drive manufacturer, online match, etc)?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:16 AM

Depending on the brand of drives, they can be tested with the utilities supplied by the manufacturers:

https://www.hgst.com/support/hard-drive-support/downloads
http://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/seatools/
https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en#downloads

The first from Hitachi might might be the most likely to be happy with other brands than the one they're supplied for.

If the drives you can't read at all are Full Disk Encrypted (FDE), they can only be accessed with the password used to encrypt them, so you'd need to source that from whoever encrypted the drives.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users