Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot download new browser on Windows XP SP3 Pro

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fabril

Fabril

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:32 PM

Just in the last couple of weeks I have been trying to download Comodo Ice Dragon as Firefox will no longer support XP later this year. When I click on the blue arrow top right of screen and try downloading/running Comodo Ice Dragon a message pops up indicating, "The instruction at 0x01fa9ffc referenced the memory at 0x00000000 could not be read."  The same message popped up when trying to install another program this month.

At around the same time I noticed that I could no longer insert a picture in an email in Outlook Express, although this may belong to another thread. When I click "browse" (to search the hard drive for the picture/file) nothing happens.  The box remains blank.

And also around the same time, the text in my emails, Word, and websites has become light grey and slightly grainy.

All of the above has occurred since the first week of February 2017.  I was wondering whether your All in One Windows Repair might fix it, and if so how I would go about that as I wouldn't know which task to select.

If anyone knows of a lightweight browser similar to Firefox that might be better than Comodo Ice Dragon but compatible with XP in the long term then I would appreciate any suggestions.

I am not at all computer savvy therefore please use layman's terms as far as possible.  Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 24 February 2017 - 06:09 AM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:24 PM

Given what you've described in terms of sudden weird behaviors you might want to consider posting on the "Am I Infected? What should I do?" forum.

A browser possibility is Chromium, but there will be very few browsers making any attempt to keep backward compatibility with Windows XP in the very near future.  It's long past its official "expiration date".

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:45 PM

Try running a Malwarebytes scan and removing anything listed as a threat. It sounds like it might possibly be some malware type. 

The Lunascape browser works with Windows XP SP1 and later, and I use it on an xp system and it works okay. 

EDIT: Try going into Safe mode and see if the problem persists. 

Edited by iMacg3, 24 February 2017 - 09:53 PM.

Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#4 Fabril

Fabril
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:48 PM

Brian thank you for replying.

All my problems started this month when I replaced the Avira antivirus program with AVG.  I had Avira installed for years but it was starting to freeze the page I was on whenever it was updating, which was two or three times a day.  It became really annoying.  Despite the great reviews I read about AVG I found it was no better and removed AVG to replace it with Panda, which seems to work quietly in the background and doesn't interfere with my browsing.  I run Glary Utilities once a week and also Malwarebytes anti-malware and these two programs don't seem to have picked up any infection.

#5 Fabril

Fabril
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:53 PM

Thank you iMacg3.  I investigated Lunascape but I can't remember what made me hesitate about that browser.  Anyway on your advice I'm going to take another look - although whether I can download it successfully is quite another thing, as I have twice now had the "The instruction at 0x01fa9ffc referenced the memory at 0x00000000 could not be read." message pop up when trying to download a new program.

I'll also try going into Safe mode and see what happens.

Thank you for your suggestions..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users