Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Basic security question.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alex411

Alex411

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:05 PM

I don't know too much about these things so I thought I'd just ask. Yesterday I was posting about my issues with Avast! and it's false positives and such. I listed the complete file names that it detected on my pc. Is it unwise to post them on the internet? I didn't think anything of it at the time cause I was trying to be detailed. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:51 PM

It is safe as long as the names of the files do not contain any personal info. Besides, the files usually suspect are program files

and system files....not data files.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Alex411

Alex411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:06 PM

Ah okay. most of it seemed to be just random numbers and letters and a few letters of a User name and whatever NTUSER and Usrclass is. Thank you.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:25 PM

Just FYI...In some cases folks may be asked to run some tools and post the logs.

There is nothing in the posted logs our helpers request which would be of any value to cyber-criminals or hackers. If there were anything to be concerned about our experts would not ask for it in a public forum. We are here to assist with malware removal and provide security education, awareness, prevention tips to help our members not become infected again.

This is a statement from one of our Site Admins.
Posting logs in open forum

While we appreciate your concerns. Nothing in the logs is of any value to would be 'hackers' intent on doing someone harm. Persons knowledgeable enough to create an attack of any significance would not need any information in the logs. Bleeping Computer has been in existence for close to 11 years. We have always operated this way and maintained our first priority is our members safety and security. The management of this forum would not put in place a process that would reveal any personally identifiable information.

As has been said the information created by the logs is necessary for those Malware Removal Team members to provide the service. The service is free of charge. While the suggestion you make would be a viable alternative, it would be impossible to implement and manage while maintaining a free service.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Alex411

Alex411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:12 PM

I understand, you need as much information as possible since this is all done without being in front of the persons actual pc. I'm just a paranoid person that isn't really good at all this stuff. So I just wanted to double check. Besides personal info I have no idea what isn't safe to disclose.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:21 AM

That's what we are here for.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:29 PM

I took a look at the other threads you posted in, but I guess you deleted the filenames?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users