Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Upgrading GPU

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zosterops

zosterops

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:27 PM

Hello! I've started having intermittent driver or hardware issues with my current GPU (AMD Radeon HD7450) and am tired of trying to solve the occasional BSOD. I'm ready to upgrade.
I'm not an expert on these things and my board and CPU are a little older so finding the best upgrade has been difficult.
Here's what I've got:

BUDGET RANGE: $50-$75 ideally, but under $100. 

USAGE: This is for the main computer in my recording studio. It's used mainly for audio recording, mixing, and production (Reaper with lots of VSTs). I also do light graphic design work (Photoshop/Illustrator) and occasional video editing with Sony Vegas. My current GPU handles this work minimally well with obvious room for improvement. 

SYSTEM SPECS:
Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-E Pro
CPU: Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.80GHz 2.53GHz 4 cores
RAM: 12GB (3x4GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1600)
Power Supply: Cool Master 600W SilentPro

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Two monitors, 1280x1024 and 1680x1050. The ability to add a third and upgrade to 1080p in the future would be nice. 

That's all the info I can think of, let me know if I left out anything relevant and thanks for any advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:11 AM

Since you aren't gaming and have a ridiculously low budget, I would go for either the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Mini or SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 460. If you had a higher budget, I'd go for the XFX Radeon RS RX 480.  If you have a low profile PC case, you may want to double check to see if you can use standard length graphics cards.  If you cannot, the 1050 Mini is the only one in that list you can use.  Some programs can use the GPU as additional processing power, such as video rendering.  Vegas can use the GPU in such a way.

3939.png

#3 zosterops

zosterops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:55 PM

Thanks, DJBPace07. I'll look into all three of your suggestions and consider spending a bit more for the XFX Radeon RS RX 480 if I feel it's worth it. 

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users