Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Latitude 10 ST2 Windows 8.1 Tablet Backup & Restore

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 leonicholson

leonicholson

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:03 PM

Love the refurb tablet, but having some problems with Windows update.

After some updates, the machine will not reboot and I have to "start over".

It has 64GB and I have a 64GB usb flash drive.

How do I create a full backup and, if update screws up the tablet, then restore from the usb?

This way, I can figure out which update is the problem without having to reload reload everything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:21 PM

If you are looking for a means of reverting back to a previous Windows condition after a update problem you should create a new Restore Point before installing the update.  To create a new Restore Point follow the instructions below.

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key to open the Run box.  When the Run box opens type in sysdm.cpl, then click/tap on OK.

This will open System Properties, click/tap on the System Protection tab. 

Click/tap on Create in the lower right portion of the screen.  You well be asked to information for identification purposes, such as the date or a name.

This will create a new Restore Point, you will receive a message stating that a restore point was successfully created.

If you are looking for software which will produce a cloned copy of the operating system you could use Macrium Reflect.  There is a tutorial available for this program which can be found here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 leonicholson

leonicholson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:32 PM

I used restore after a Windows Update screwed up the tablet.  (One Intel update caused the tablet to just shut down after a couple minutes).

I have used Macrium to clone to replacement SSD drives in the past.  Very good software.

My question is more how can you restore a system if you can't get to Windows Restore.

I've managed so far, but was wondering how to back up everything to a USB, then restore from the USB with everything intact.

I do keep a Recovery Boot USB.

Edited by leonicholson, 02 March 2017 - 01:33 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:00 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that what you want to know is how to boot into Widnows 8.1 to make repairs when you can not boot into Windows normally.  Right?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users