Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New XP installation will not boot up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rowacres

Rowacres

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:28 PM

Any help / pointers very much appreciated. I have installed Windows XP on scores of occasions, but have come across issues as I attempt to bring to life an old PC.

I have successfully installed XP pro (as far as I can tell). At the end of installation, the PC reboots to get the first startup completed.
In my case, this booting up gets to the point where all the right noises are made, and the black screen with windows XP and the four coloured flag is seen. The rising (blue) loading indicator at the bottom gets to one or two 'blobs' and just stops. Leaving it does not induce an eventual continuation.
If I reboot, I do get the usual choices...
boot normally
Safe mode
Safe mode with networking etc
Cannot go to last known occasion when the PC started for obvious reasons.
I can get into safe-mode with no problems.

I did believe that the HD was a suspect here - and have used several all with the same outcome. Also tried alternative motherboards
with no success.
I have tried removing all the bits, with just the HD installed - still the same outcome.
You will appreciate that in not achieving a full boot, I cannot play around with settings etc.
The mother board make / model is not known, but it does have a amibios chip.

The question is where do I go from here?
Your help will be appreciated.

Colin

Edited by Rowacres, 23 February 2017 - 12:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:32 PM

I can get into safe-mode with no problems

Sounds like an issue with the graphics driver if it boots to safemode without a problem. Does the MB have an integrated graphics card? You can find your MB version using CPUz in safe mode.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

#3 Rowacres

Rowacres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:06 PM

Hi JohnC_21

Thanks for your prompt reply. You raise an interesting point, and have prompted my memory a little. You have reminded me that I did notice that the PC is fitted with a Radeon 9600 card (and yes the additional current supply is connected). I believe I am correct in saying this card is a 8x AGP item.

The M/board itself does not have integrated graphics.

In safe mode, I was able to get to device manager which shows that the card is recognised and enabled.

This is where your greater knowledge than mine will now show as I ask a further question. I was very surprised to note that in safe mode all items were listed as 'correct' - not one had a little marker to advise problems. As safe mode does not load the driver content in full, is that why all looked to be well?

On past installations - the graphics have worked prior to any attempt to install the motherboard drivers or individual graphics drivers.

I do have a standby 8x AGP card somewhere in my 'old parts'  box, and wonder if this is worth a try?

Your further thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Colin

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:13 PM

Safe Mode will load generic drivers. Is this XP SP3? If you have not downloaded and installed the driver for the Radeon download it here and install in Safe Mode.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy1&os=Windows%20XP%20-%20Professional/Home&RenderOnServer=true

You may be able to download using Safe Mode with Networking.

#5 Rowacres

Rowacres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:39 PM

Hello again

yes I have installed XP Pro / SP3.

Thanks for the info and link to the ATI software - I now have this on a USB stick.

Will not be able to progress this evening - but will try this workaround tomorrow morning. If unsuccessful, I will replace the 9600 with an unused Sapphire X1550 (purchased but never used many moons ago) Surprising what we accumulate over the years!

Thanks again, and will let you know what happens tomorrow.

Colin

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:42 PM

Sounds like a plan. Good Luck. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 February 2017 - 03:43 PM.

#7 Rowacres

Rowacres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:38 AM

Hello again JohnC_21

Many thanks for putting me on the right path to success.

I installed the graphics drivers - however NO success.

I removed the Radeon 9700 (Not 9600 as stated yesterday) that was reported to be 8xAGP in its specs.

I went to replace this with my Sapphire X1550 (also reported to be 8xAGP in its specs) - BUT the two were entirely different in the pin layout ?????

Following a further exploration through my old parts box, I found an old gforce card with the correct pin layout.

With this fitted - instant success.

I had agonised with this one and over-complicated the problem. I completely missed the fact that a new install would of course have windows graphics support for the opening screen messages only.

In the end the solution was simple, but thanks to your clear thinking all is now well.

Thanks again

Colin

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:10 AM

Your Welcome,

Nice Troubleshooting. Glad you sorted out the problem. The reason you had different slots on the card was because there are different versions of AGP.

See Compatibility on the Wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Graphics_Port

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users