Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Restoration Incomplete" (System Restore not working)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GSGregg

GSGregg

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:54 AM

Hello, all...

A game version has recently started displaying "No Game Played" on exit, rather than 'Submit Score?', and a newer version displays only its wallpaper instead of its customary submit/play again/exit graphic. Suspecting a common cause of both glitches, and having successfully submitted scores on January 31, I attempted a System Restore to February 1st.

SR opened, I selected the date from the calendar, it took a few minutes to process files, shut down and restart the computer, but failed the restoration..."Your computer cannot be restored to Feb. 1." So, I tried Feb. 2nd; same result. Three or four more; same result. Websearching told me how to find what I already knew, but finally a potential cause; someone found that Norton Product Tamper Protection had to be turned off to allow SR to make changes to files.

I am running merely Avast Free Antivirus, but I wonder if it is somehow interfering with System Restore? And, for that matter, is this a common nuisance with AVs in general?

Thanks;

Gregg

Edited by hamluis, 24 February 2017 - 06:13 AM.
Moved from XP to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:14 AM

Worth a read:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-files/system-restore-restoration-incomplete-your/c48c0803-25b4-491f-9f0b-6435ba7b7189 .

Louis

#3 GSGregg

GSGregg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:25 PM

Hello again, Louis;

Thanks for the link to the answers.microsoft. com forum topic. To answer some of the questions posed by Thahaseena M in her/his reply:

Prior successful restorations? Yes, but at least two harddrives and maybe more than two years ago.

Free space available? 38GB of 74.5GB.

I am Administrator.

The screenshot shows the only System Restore-related error encounterred in six days; I began troubleshooting this about two weeks ago, and this error came up Feb 8 2017, 4:44:24 AM and Feb 10 2017, 12:29:47 PM. If there were any others between Feb 10 and Feb 17, they were overwritten by the horrendous barrage of entries from the ATI graphics driver (DVD_OV, Event code 62464---see second screenshot) which sends ten entries at a time every few seconds and can't be turned off (over 1,490 entries out of 2,063 lines available).

Attached File  System Restore Error.JPG   165.38KB   0 downloads  Attached File  System plugged (Ati).JPG   165.62KB   0 downloads 

I'm not concerned about the SR filter not monitoring; apparently, Monitoring status resets when the computer boots, as I checked System Properties > System Restore tab > Status.

It would be nice if somebody who tells you that you can't do something would also try to tell you WHY.

Does anyone have opinions / insight about the antivirus conflict I mentioned in my original post? Thanks

Gregg

Edited by GSGregg, 23 February 2017 - 09:45 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:30 PM

I have heard that avast prevents a successful system restore. First turn off avast's self protection and see if you can create a restore point. If that does not work disable avast and try creating a restore point in safe mode.

#5 GSGregg

GSGregg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:17 PM

Hello again, JohnC_21;

I'm afraid I don't have much of a grasp of which of these would be considered 'self' protection.....

Attached File  Avast 'Self' Protection.JPG   39.29KB   0 downloads

Also, must a new Restore Point be created, and an existing one not used?

Gregg

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:41 AM

These instructions are for an older version of avast but they should be similar to the current version...

Disabling-avast-2014-self-defense-module
Disabling Avast Self-Defense module
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:16 AM

If the System Restore problem was caused by avast and you have a valid System Restore point then you can use it. 

#8 GSGregg

GSGregg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for the links, quietman7, but things have apparently changed quite a bit; for one thing, there's no more Self-Defense Module. Among the Components are four 'Shields' (for File System, Behavior, Mail and Web); disabling them is how the AV is turned off.

I have a screenshot to attach, but can't find Manage Attachments---Did I overdo it somehow, or is it simply off line temporarily?

I tried disabling until the computer is restarted, but since shutdown-and-restart is part of the SR sequence, I couldn't tell when the comp had restarted - before or after the restoration failed. So, I tried disabling for one hour, which should give me time for multiple tries (three, as it turned out), but after each one, the AV was back in force and the restorations had failed.

I haven't yet tried creating a new restore point, because the instructions seem to say that the current date and time will be applied to it, which will not be able to cancel / quarantine whatever mishap befell my computer sometime between Feb 1 and Feb 8 or 10.

Oh---John;  I don't have access to Safe Mode, because F8 after BIOS is not working. It used to, but not with this harddrive or XP installation (formatted and installed Jan 10). There's bound to be a second way of enabling it, though...

I looked at the forum rules and saw 'suspension' mentioned, and not just outright ban; Is Shadow_647 merely on suspension, or is he permanently gone?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:32 PM

The self defense module is enabled and disabled in settings if I can remember correctly. It could be listed under the troubleshooting section but this may have changed on the newer versions. I am sure somebody on the avast forum would be able to tell you how to disable self defense on the latest version.

You can access safe mode through MSconfig in XP.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode-using-system-configuration-2626115

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users