Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do you think computing technology will look like in 20 years?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cyberjaguar

cyberjaguar

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:47 AM

Our architecture with the current epoch of technology (silicon based chips) gets closer and closer to atomic limits every year. Engineers come up with ways to get around them, but these come with problems of their own and can only take us so far. Moore's law is obviously not a physical or scientific law, but just a self-fulfilling prophecy based on Moore's observation.

Quantum computing is interesting, but is still an indeterminate distance from being practical for consumer electronics, and has a limited range of uses.

It seems like optical computing that utilizes photons is the most promising, as there are minor research breakthroughs all the time, and unlike quantum computers, practical & working optical based devices have been around for a long time. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/search/?keyword=optical+computing#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=optical%20computing&gsc.page=1

https://www.sciencedaily.com/search/?keyword=optical+computing#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=photonic%20computing&gsc.sort=

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:54 AM

such a shame you linked the topic... Our opinions and knowledge can create a great conversation.

Decimal processing will change everything (yes it already exists), and we will be propelled into a new science age. Whether or not we survive to see the fruits is another question.

Edited by TsVk!, 23 February 2017 - 04:57 AM.

#3 cyberjaguar

cyberjaguar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:04 AM

Shame that I linked the topic? Do you mean posting links to sciencedaily?

What is decimal processing in a nutshell? I googled this, but the only search results were highly technical and academic in nature.

I took entry level programming courses in school, but nothing beyond that, so keep it simple if you would. :)

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,680 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:02 PM

The future of computing is what is now taking over the manufacturing industry - - ROBOTICS.   We have machines making other machines, making chips and other robots to make other parts.  3D printing opened the door to some incredibly complex devices.  What is needed to survive the next century?  Radiation hardened chips of all sorts, especially optical imaging.  Seems they have to be "open" to cosmic rays and other radiation sources.  Devices die in minutes in severe environments.  Fukushima needs some robotic help but everything goes blind.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:48 PM

Shame that I linked the topic? Do you mean posting links to sciencedaily?

What is decimal processing in a nutshell? I googled this, but the only search results were highly technical and academic in nature.

I took entry level programming courses in school, but nothing beyond that, so keep it simple if you would. :)

Just that the links don't work mate...

Decimal processing and memory is just that. Rather than being binary like our current systems (0 or 1) the flag will be between 0 and 9. The magnitude of power is literally 8 times greater.

Here in Oz they have a working decimal memory chip in a university... it's only a matter of time before that passes down to consumers.

The future of computing is what is now taking over the manufacturing industry - - ROBOTICS.   We have machines making other machines, making chips and other robots to make other parts.  3D printing opened the door to some incredibly complex devices.  What is needed to survive the next century?  Radiation hardened chips of all sorts, especially optical imaging.  Seems they have to be "open" to cosmic rays and other radiation sources.  Devices die in minutes in severe environments.  Fukushima needs some robotic help but everything goes blind.

And batteries to run these robots.

A new generation of batteries that will accept a charge with very low force, very quickly, use common materials and have great longevity.

#6 cyberjaguar

cyberjaguar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:49 PM

Hmm, they work for me.

What are the current barriers to full implementation of base 10 (or base 8 or whatever) processing? Is it just a matter of working out a whole new programming architecture -- starting with a whole new machine code, etc? Or is our current physical technology not ideally suited for anything except binary? You said they have a working chip -- so obviously its possible to implement it to some extent. I guess what I'm asking is -- if the machine language was fully worked out, would it be possible to take full advantage of this with our current physical technology & architecture? Or would it require some radically new approach to the physical engineering side of things?

Edited by cyberjaguar, 23 February 2017 - 03:52 PM.

#7 bumping

bumping

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:34 AM

sat tv with a tablet size remote

ms has already announced a plan, leading to something that.

xbox live was the start..

monthtly charge, plus, per dl

they'll impliment data limits, so they can charge for overages

basically a combination of xbox, cell service/sat/cable tv service

is why you see every method of commo, gobbbling up tv service

is why u.s. govt changed broadcast tv signal bands.

is why antenna tv is near useless, for broadcast tv..... now the black sheep. because i can't demand subscription and large contracts. thus it is dead ended.

so everything is heading wireless/sat/mcirowav

only 2 ways to monopolize that..... proprietary sites, to use onsight software, or dl proprietry sw.

and the data usuage, like cell phones are doing... but at the site level

ya'll do know that for a while, "they" were playing and expriementing with delivering broadband via electric company.

pushing highspeed internet right thru the wall plug.

AND IT WORKED

no fiber optic needed at all

any/every electrical device could be higspeed.commo

imagine what they would have done to the entire phone and tv industry

Be like,  GetSmart speaking into his shoe.

We literally are, there.

Just isn't wide spread implimented.

but will be soon as they prove how to doing it, financially, ie, assured to make loads of money, without taking much risk.

Edited by bumping, 24 February 2017 - 08:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users