Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 not identical

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:48 PM

Recently my dad and I purchased two identical Dell Inspiron towers with Windows 10 on both.

After setting both up, I've noticed differences in both the Windows, like certain games installed on one but not the other and file explorer icon missing on the left side of start menu (in between user and settings icons).

I'm just wondering, is this normal? Is there anything to be concerned about? I've also noticed that the one tower was apparently older than the other one because the start menu looked different before the Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607.

It makes me think that maybe one was really refurbished, but both were supposed to be brand new.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:10 PM

Check the version and build numbers on each computer.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-info.aspx

Download Gsmartcontrol on each computer. Double click the hard drive. Look under the Attributes tab for Power On Hours.

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/

info_failing.png

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:15 PM

There is nothing particularly remarkable about your situation, but it's more obvious with the advent of Windows 10.

A given computer can sit in a warehouse and/or on a store shelf for months after it leaves the factory.  The exact same model right next to it might have been sent out the day after a Windows 10 version update was released or months after, and end up on the same store shelf.  When you fire each up for the first time they'll have whatever version of Windows 10 they left the factory with and since Windows 10 version updates roll out in waves they may not upgrade to the next version anywhere near to the same time.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:24 PM

I suggested Gsmartcontrol because there was a poster that was supposedly sold a new drive that had 40000+ powered on hours. Even the drive on a HP I bought new had more hours than use by me. I believe this is normal in that some OEMs will put refurbished drives in the computer. If the OP has a drive with excessive powered on hours then it may have been a refurbished unit.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:32 PM

John,

What I said was not in reaction to what you'd said, it was a simple observation.  Both of us gave the OP something valuable to consider.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#6 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:18 PM

Thank you both for your suggestions.

I downloaded Gsmartcontrol as suggested and ran it.

I looked at the name of the hard drives - my parent's computer started with "STE" which I think is a normal name for Dell; it sounds familiar and I think my Dell laptop with Vista on it has a hard drive name that starts with STE.

However, on mine, it says it's a Toshiba! Does this mean it's refurbished?

I took screen shots to share.

The one that has the full window (where you can see the X button, minimizer, etc) is my computer (4-59-pm-2-23-17.jpg if you can see the name of it)

The one where the X button, minimizer, etc. is cut off, that one is from my parents (5-05-pm-2-23-17.jpg)

Attached Files

#7 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:19 PM

However, on mine, it says it's a Toshiba! Does this mean it's refurbished?

I also want to mention that I thought mine sounded different too. I thought maybe it was the different desks, but now I'm not so sure. Mine seems louder.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:45 PM

Computer manufacturers use multiple sources for component parts.  Dell (and any other computer maker) does not manufacture its own component parts like disc drives, memory, optical drives, and the list goes on and on.

The ST drive is a Seagate 1TB SATA drive while the Toshiba one is one of their 1TB SATA drives - neither is made by Dell.  I've had machines with Western Digital, Toshiba, and others.  The HP 15-g035wm has a Toshiba hard disk drive.  You could very well find a non-Toshiba hard disc drive in a Toshiba machine because manufacturers don't keep virtually any stock and you source what you need almost the moment you need it.

No manufacturer is likely to try to pass off refurbished machines as new, as the legal ramifications for doing so could be quite severe were it to be found out and particularly if it were found to be a widespread and longstanding practice.  Companies like Dell have legal departments that would never permit this practice (if they were to get wind of it).  There have been exceptions like the Volkswagen emissions control scandal, and look how that turned out.  Companies have every reason to avoid fraud these days, as it's much easier to prove than it once was.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:00 PM

Both your drives are new. That is more than I could say for the drive I got with my HP desktop.

#10 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:28 PM

Thank you both very much for your help.

I didn't even know about the different manufacturers for the hard drives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users