Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After connecting my school computer to WiFi at a resort I can no longer connect

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mob99

mob99

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:08 PM

For some stranger reason I can't connect to my home wifi, I have a toshiba laptop with windows 10. On network connections, my wifi have a big red x, I tried to right click n connect and it does nothing.i tried clicking on available connections on the bottom task bar an nothing happens.its like sumthing blocking my wifi adapter... please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:04 PM

If you have any WIFI profiles delete them and then see if Windows 10 detects your WIFI. Make sure Airplane mode is off and WIFI is on. 

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/forget-wireless-network-profiles-windows-10

#3 mob99

mob99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:40 PM

Tried that an I restarted the computer but the same thing is happening,I finally got it to work thru the Ethernet cable but something pop up with akamai netsession as a firewall

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:04 PM

I am not sure what the akamai netsession is. From this page it looks like something you would want to delete. 

Are there any yellow exclamation marks next to your Network Adapters in Device Manager?

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:44 AM

You should read this

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-security/what-is-akamai-netsession-client/6c85ea38-e236-42b4-8c02-ea425d5658dc

I would get it off your system for starts.

#6 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:56 AM

It could be you have accidentally hit the button for disabling the wifi.

Usually there is some sort of key combination you have to press to enable/disable it.
Typically on Toshibas it is FN + F8, like shown in the attached picture

Hold down the FN key and press F8.

If it doesnt work it might be because the FN key function is reversed in the bios.
This means that the computer thinks the FN key is pressed all the time and you only press F8 to do the switching.

Or, it could be because it is done differently on your model.
In that case post the model number and I'll try to find out the correct key combination for it

HTH!

tfn

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users