Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 Computer Will Not Boot

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 ArminHodzic

ArminHodzic

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:07 PM

Hello,

I bought a computer from ibuypower about a year or two ago and has been amazing as far as performance. Recently I've noticed some issues where windows (the operating system) would crash entirely. I would get an error that pops up saying something along the lines of "Windows has stopped working."

This would occur maybe once every two weeks for the past two to four months. As it wasn't a huge problem that really interfered with my computer use, I moved forward and dealt with it as it came by simply restarting the computer. Last night I used it for three hours prior to bed playing a few video games with friends and as I got off of the video games the computer got very laggy and google chrome, along with the rest of the computer, basically become unclickable but I was still able to move the mouse around so the computer wasn't frozen. I tried to restart the computer as usual but this time it was very slow booting up. Once it booted up the lag and unresponsiveness continued so I figured I'd turn it off and leave it alone till the morning.

This morning I woke up and tried to boot my computer but I received the black screen that suggests that new hardware may have been installed. I've tried about twenty times to restart my computer to see if it'll work but I've had no success. After the third time the auto repair tool popped up but not really because the repair tool itself seemed broken as I couldn't see any options and all that I could make up were a few broken words at the bottom of the screen. After about two minutes on that screen my computer restarted itself but again was not able to boot up. 

I attempted to boot the computer in safe mode but with the change from how safe mode is booted from windows 7 to windows 8.1 I am not able to boot in safe mode as I can't get to the login screen and I do not have another computer that operates on windows 8.1

I am pretty sure that it is not a hardware issue as I have not moved the computer, opened it up, I dust it from time to time, and it's a fairly young computer. I suspect it is some type of malware or bug,

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:37 PM

Just a quick question before we kick off troubleshooting... do you have access to another computer?

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 ArminHodzic

ArminHodzic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:53 AM

I actually have Linux on the same computer that I am able to run. I don't use Linux really but my brother is a pro at Linux as he uses it for his work and experiments with it daily. I'm sure he would be willing to help me run certain things if you need me to and I also know enough about it to operate it. However, I am also able to use my girlfriend's computer that is running windows (some version higher than 8) if need be but that isn't as quick as she lives about 20 minutes from me.

Edited by ArminHodzic, 28 February 2017 - 12:56 AM.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:14 PM

Our first step is to get a Windows Installation Media CD, please follow these instructions to create one. Then boot from Windows CD and run Automatic Repair three times, rebooting between each times.

Edited by bwv848, 28 February 2017 - 11:15 PM.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 ArminHodzic

ArminHodzic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:49 AM

I actually still have the reinstallation disc that ibuypower provided me with. Is that of any use? Would that have the repair feature as well or will I still need to make a Windows Installation Media CD as you mentioned?

Edited by ArminHodzic, 01 March 2017 - 12:50 AM.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:04 AM

I actually still have the reinstallation disc that ibuypower provided me with. Is that of any use? Would that have the repair feature as well or will I still need to make a Windows Installation Media CD as you mentioned?

Nope go ahead and use that CD. Just run startup repair THREE times, rebooting between each try.

#7 ArminHodzic

ArminHodzic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:23 AM

Nope go ahead and use that CD. Just run startup repair THREE times, rebooting between each try.

Just to clarify, I can use the disc I have from ibuypower, correct? Don't want to use the wrong disc is all.

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:39 AM

Yes, that's fine. :thumbup2:

#9 ArminHodzic

ArminHodzic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

Yes, that's fine. :thumbup2:

I have a full day of classes today but I will do so as soon as I get home and reply back to you :)

#10 ArminHodzic

ArminHodzic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:14 PM

I ran the startup repair once and then realized that I had a USB plugged in (the receiver for my wireless headset) and removed it and did it an additional three times. I heard that USBs can interfere with the startup repair tool so I wanted to make sure everything was done properly.

I ran it three times rebooting in between each time but after every time it would diagnose my PC, then attempt to repair, and quickly after the attempting to repair screen comes up (roughly 3 seconds after) a screen would pop up that says "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC"

I do also want to note that windows is listed as my third partition. The CD/DVD drive is listed first (in order to boot the reinstallation CD), then the Fedora (Linux) partition and then the windows partition. I mention this just to make sure that this wouldn't interfere with the repair tool but I doubt it would as I believe the repair tool first locates the windows partition regardless of it's placement.

What's next? :)

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:35 PM

So sorry... I forgot to reply to you!!!

Can you access the recovery environment command prompt and enter the following commands?

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd
CHKDSK /R

Edited by bwv848, 03 March 2017 - 04:36 PM.

#12 ArminHodzic

ArminHodzic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:58 PM

No problem at all, I was gonna wait another day before I messaged you asking :)

After I run bootrec /rebuildbcd it asks me

"Successfully scanned windows installations
Total identified windows installations: 1
Add installation to boot list? Yes(y)/no(n)/all(a)"

Should I say yes/no/all? Which one? Or should I just ignore it and run the last command on your list?

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

Say "Yes" please.

#14 ArminHodzic

ArminHodzic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:13 AM

I typed "y" and the command prompt responded with,
"The requested system device cannot be found"

I then did CHKDSK /R and it said
"The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.
Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected."

Was I wrong in typing "y" instead of "yes"? Should I repeat these steps? What's next?

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

Can you enter:
diskpart
list disk
select disk x
List Volume
and tell me what it says?

Useful information!
"X" in the third command is the number given to the disk that Windows is installed on.

Edited by bwv848, 04 March 2017 - 09:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users