Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows cleanup isn't working

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 projectfear22

projectfear22

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

So just the cleanup works (altho it removes thumbnails but sometime later adds the same amount back idk what's up with that?)
But the clean up of system files isn't working. I try to remove windows updates and it actually added like 500MB onto my C drive instead of removing like 3gb of updates and some MBs of other stuff. I could really use that extra space I only have 744MB on C 7,28MB on D 1 gb on E. I disabled downloading of any further updates btw,

What can I do?

And an additional question: are there some other ways to cleanup at least a few bit of space without risks? some that aren't that known ofc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:01 PM

You could try using CCleaner.

It's very good at what it does, just avoid using the registry cleaner.

#3 cyberjaguar

cyberjaguar

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:50 AM

If you have folders with lots of rarely used files -- big collections of ebooks, etc -- you could compress them.

#4 projectfear22

projectfear22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for the replies tho they're mostly for the extra question right? I'm using Advanced System Care, it should be like CCleaner. Why do you avoid the reg cleaner in CC tho?

If you have folders with lots of rarely used files -- big collections of ebooks, etc -- you could compress them.

to an archive? how would I read, listen or watch them then

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:15 AM

Windows Cleanup might work properly...if you uninstalled Advanced System Care, which is an "optimizer/registry cleaner" and such are known to cause system problems in some systems.  BC does not support the use of this type of program.

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Louis

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:28 AM

It's been my observation that part of Windows 7 updating being broken includes updates cleanup. I've had Windows Cleanup break two computers since updates have gone to a monthly rollup, I don't use it any more, and also have updates turned off so the CPU hogging problem doesn't occur.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 projectfear22

projectfear22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

Installed it but it doesn't do anything to the updates. Also why not to use reg cleaner? (I used it but unchecked some apps)

Windows Cleanup might work properly...if you uninstalled Advanced System Care, which is an "optimizer/registry cleaner" and such are known to cause system problems in some systems.  BC does not support the use of this type of program.

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Louis

It still doesn't work (note: I did install ccleaner but that's after I checked if this works). Is there a way to manually delete the unimportant updates without ruining the PC? or what should I do?

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:32 AM

SPECIFICALLY which files/folders are you trying to delete?

#9 projectfear22

projectfear22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:10 PM

SPECIFICALLY which files/folders are you trying to delete?

Well I don't know that haha. Windows' Disk Cleanup is saying that there's like 3 gigs of unimportant updates, and when I try to remove them, it doesn't.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:27 PM

Can you post a screenshot of Windows Explorer expanded to show all folders on C: drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users