Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

twice this month I have been a victim of bank fraud, I think it may be a virus.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 phil0sophy

phil0sophy

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:28 PM

I have completely scanned my PC with malwarebytes, malwarebytes anti root kit, superantispyware, roguekiller, avira, adwcleaner,  emisoft antimalware and stinger and I have yet to find anything.

I have a feeling that something isn't quite right though, I have since installed an anti-keylogger just for extra protection but I am wondering if anything could be lurking still, can anyone help?

Just ran another roguekiller scan, it has picked up quite a few things, I believe they are false positives though, would anybody care to look and let me know?

Edited by phil0sophy, 22 February 2017 - 01:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phil0sophy

phil0sophy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:37 AM

Just wondering if anybody could provide an answer here? I am still pretty paranoid that I have a virus somewhere.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,129 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

Was this a direct transfer of funds from your checking account or did it involve the use of your bank's debit card?

Does the bank agree with you that your bank account was illegally accessed? Did they reimburse you?

What actions has the bank taken...for example issued you a different debit card?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

twice this month I have been a victim of bank fraud

...[still] have a feeling that something isn't quite right though...

I was also some time ago; mine was two credit card attempts out of state while wife and I were in our home area.

Bank issued new credit card numbers.  I do go online from time to time and scroll down the activities of our checking acct, which is also linked to a debit card.  Now using the $9/month Costco's CSID services as a backup measure, they monitor, I monitor.  Would you mind sharing a little more details?  I was thinking of suggesting "The Vault" and its related software route, however, I do not know if that would help you.

Edited by RolandJS, 09 March 2017 - 02:09 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:33 AM

I have completely scanned my PC with malwarebytes, malwarebytes anti root kit, superantispyware, roguekiller, avira, adwcleaner,  emisoft antimalware and stinger and I have yet to find anything.

I have a feeling that something isn't quite right though, I have since installed an anti-keylogger just for extra protection but I am wondering if anything could be lurking still, can anyone help?

Just ran another roguekiller scan, it has picked up quite a few things, I believe they are false positives though, would anybody care to look and let me know?

You could try Eset's online scanner, make sure you choose to scan for pups & under advanced settings to scan for root kits. https://www.eset.com/int/home/online-scanner/

#6 phil0sophy

phil0sophy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:17 AM

Was this a direct transfer of funds from your checking account or did it involve the use of your bank's debit card?

Does the bank agree with you that your bank account was illegally accessed? Did they reimburse you?

What actions has the bank taken...for example issued you a different debit card?

They did reimburse me, it has happened multiple times over different cards, all card transactions online which means my card details have been compromised somewhere online each time I have inputted them, which leads me to believe it was a virus.

I have since started using keyscrambler personal and have used a wide array of different virus checking software and malware software, it did clean a few things up but nothing that looked really suspicious, it hasn't happened since having my new card though so with any luck that's the end of it now.

Unless anyone else has more recommendations to secure myself further?

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,129 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:21 AM

Using a Linux OS either installed or Live for financial transactions is much more safe than using Windows. Many businesses have Linux installed on

computers that they dedicate to ONLY performing financial transactions.

Their are probably millions of websites that are run by criminals that offer products for sale. No security program or using Linux

will prevent information given to those websites from being used to steal.

Even legit sites have had their customers info stolen by hackers.

Personally, I would never use a debit card issued by the bank I do business with. I use a prepaid debit card. I've also used PayPal.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:08 PM

I might have missed it, have you explored or reviewed:

-- how incoming mail is stored in your mailbox secured or un-secured

-- how mail is being stored, out in the open or out of sight

-- how mail no longer needed is being discarded, securely or un-securely

-- are there others who are authorized users on your credit and/or debit cards

Edited by RolandJS, 09 April 2017 - 07:08 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users