Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going to upgrade to 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, but already have 2x2 GB sticks

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Adrian_Machin

Adrian_Machin

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:49 AM

Hi there,

I'm going to upgrade the RAM of my desktop computer to 8 GB. The current installed RAM is 4 GB consisted of 2 sticks of 2 GB. The motherboard which I'm using is a GA-EP43T-USB3 from Gigabyte Technology.

The question is, what do you recommend for buying extra RAM sticks? Should I buy another 2 sticks of 2 GB to add them together forming a 4x2 GB set? or one 8 GB stick? or 2x4 sticks?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:32 PM

Since your motherboards is quite old, I'd get cheap 2*2GB kit.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:12 PM

I recommend you download and run the Crucial System Scanner  (often called the Crucial Memory Scanner) which will give you precisely the slot configuration you have, what's installed in each slot (or if there are empty slots, too), and what the maximum memory is for your system.

Whether you buy Crucial memory or not the tool gives accurate information that allows you to make an informed decision on how you wish to proceed with buying more memory.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 Adrian_Machin

Adrian_Machin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:40 PM

Since your motherboards is quite old, I'd get cheap 2*2GB kit.

I'm not sure how old is that motherboard! How do you say it's quite old? Do you know when it was designed?

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:46 PM

G43 chipset launch was Q2/2008 so motherboard is probably made between 2009 and 2010.

#6 Adrian_Machin

Adrian_Machin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:57 PM

G43 chipset launch was Q2/2008 so motherboard is probably made between 2009 and 2010.

P43 or G43?

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:08 PM

P43 or G43?

Oh yeah, that was P43. No matter, launch was Q2/2008.

#8 Adrian_Machin

Adrian_Machin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:17 PM

Oh yeah, that was P43. No matter, launch was Q2/2008.

Thanks. So is it common to estimate the age of a motherboard by the release date of its chipset?

What are the downsides to an old motherboard? I mean, should I consider replacing and upgrading to a new motherboard?

Edited by Adrian_Machin, 22 February 2017 - 02:17 PM.

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:42 PM

My point is that you probably never will buy more than 8 GB RAM into that motherboard so you can go cheapest route. While more expensive 2*4GB and 1*8GB options offer better upgrade path, you probably won't ever use it.

#10 Adrian_Machin

Adrian_Machin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:56 PM

My point is that you probably never will buy more than 8 GB RAM into that motherboard so you can go cheapest route. While more expensive 2*4GB and 1*8GB options offer better upgrade path, you probably won't ever use it.

Thanks. Got it.

#11 Adrian_Machin

Adrian_Machin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:52 AM

bought two memory sticks of Axtrom DDR3-1600 4GB. Now when I install them, the motherboard keeps beeping for some seconds without showing anything on the screen, reboots and then the same thing happens again until I power off the machine.

The previous RAM sticks installed in it were 2 sticks of Geil DDR3 PC3 10660 1333Mhz.

Another issue is that if I install an old stick into a slot and a new one into a slot with a different color, the computer won't beep but it keeps rebooting and showing nothing on screen.

How can I fix it?!

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:35 AM

Remove all RAM, blow possible dust/dirt from motherboard slots.

Insert the two new sticks of RAM into matching-color slots.

Boot the computer.

Louis

#13 Adrian_Machin

Adrian_Machin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:20 PM

Remove all RAM, blow possible dust/dirt from motherboard slots.

Insert the two new sticks of RAM into matching-color slots.

Boot the computer.

Louis

Thanks, Louis.

I went back to the store. They said maybe it needs a BIOS update. I suggested them using 1333MHz instead of 1600, that way they could skip the BIOS update part and fortunately it worked. Now I have added the old ones as well as the new ones, making the total memory of 12GB.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:55 PM

I kind of thought about suggesting what you did...but I seldom suggest taking/sending anything back because I know the disappointment.

Glad you resolved it...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users