Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 activation expiring...but it shouldn't be

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:53 AM

I have a Dell laptop that came with Windows 8 pre-installed. Obviously, it now has Windows 10, due to the fact that Microsoft didn't exactly give people a choice as to whether they wanted it or not (and yes, I'm still a little bitter about that, haha.)

Yesterday I performed a refresh on my system, and the process went without a hitch. However, when my laptop rebooted after the process was completed, a message popped up on my screen informing me that my Windows license is about to expire and that I need to activate it in Settings.

So I go to Settings, which tells me that I have Windows 10 Home Edition installed, and that it is, indeed, activated. There's no mention in Settings that the license is about to expire, nor is there any indication of exactly *when* this expiration is to take place.

I did some research (yes, that means Googling, hehe) and I found that many people have had this issue. I tried one "fix" that involved opening Task Manager, restarting Windows Explorer, then typing "slmgr -rearm" into Command Prompt and rebooting the laptop.

Well. Let us just say: that did not work. Apparently it did work for some people, but it sure as hell didn't work for mine. The laptop wouldn't even boot. I kept getting the BSOD due to "page fault in nonpaged area". It was so bad that I ended up having to refresh the laptop AGAIN. It was the only advanced option that would actually work and allow me to have, y'know...a functioning laptop.

So now the laptop is working, but I'm still getting that damn message periodically. And I can't figure out what the hell to do about it. Because I'm certainly not paying Microsoft for a new license key when *they're* the ones who put Windows 10 on my system when I damn well didn't even *want* it. If I had my way, I'd still be using Windows 7.

Is there anyone who has any ideas that might help? Hopefully one that won't send my laptop into yet another vicious BSOD spiral?

Thanks in advance for any help! clear.png

****************************************************************************************************
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 69 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8080 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics Family, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 911 GB (786 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0845MX
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell Inspiron 5537
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:31 AM

computergeek522

This is another one of Microsoft's "side effects" of the upgrade.  I've seen a large number of post where this problem has been discussed.  If the slmgr -rearm command didn't resolve this I would suggest contacting Microsoft to see if they will resolve this.  I wish I had a better suggestion, but there doesn't seem to be a magic cure for this problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:09 PM

To the OP, If you still have your Windows 8 install media and product key, you can go back to Windows 8 when ever you want. The process is fairly quick and easy, but it does wipe your disc clean.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:36 PM

To the OP, If you still have your Windows 8 install media and product key, you can go back to Windows 8 when ever you want. The process is fairly quick and easy, but it does wipe your disc clean.

This is a activation issue.  What you are suggesting is overkill.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:02 PM

Not to mention that Microsoft is eager to have as many devices operating under Windows 10 as possible.

I would imagine that telephone technical support would be quite amenable to assisting in resolving this sort of issue without cost.

The first course of action I'd take in this case is to contact Microsoft Technical Support.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users