Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All in one printer with good scanner

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Merylly

Merylly

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:11 AM

I have a Lexmark 1180 which I've always been thrilled with. Just recently the scanning/copying function has given up the ghost (sound like a mechanical problem) though the printer itself still functions fine.

The machine is old in technology years so it makes sense to get a new all in one. Unfortunately Lexmark no longer make this type of home printer so I'm looking for another make and model. The problem is that any promotional blurb  of all in one printers treats the scanning function as a poor relation and gives very little information about the scanner.

My Lexmark has a scanner top that simply lifts off for scanning books or oversize documents. (It can then be placed back down on top of the product, with a towel to exclude light if necessary)  I have found it useful for books but what I mainly use it for is to scan in areas of large watercolour paintings which one can't do with a hinged or restricting top.

I hope I've explained this well enough for someone to be able to suggest a make and model that will fit the bill.

I don't want an expensive scanner alone. I don't use any of the functions of the all in one often enough to warrant an expensive machine. I like the two cartridge ink jet set up with no faffing around. I'm not obsessed with ink costs.

Thank you for having a look at my problem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:47 AM

How much are you looking to spend?

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:01 AM

I love Canon's line of multifunctions.   Virtually all of them that don't have automatic multi-sheet document feeders have removable flatbed covers, but you need to check that.

I've been impressed with both print and scan quality, and this was even with the low-end devices like the now defunct MP250 that I used for a number of years.  One added advantage, at least on some models, is separate ink tanks for each color plus dye-based black and pigmented black ink tanks.  I avoid any, including Canon, printers or multifunctions that use a tricolor cartridge since the tendency to run out of one of the three colors long before the other two results in purchasing many more cartridges than one might otherwise.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 Merylly

Merylly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:34 PM

I don't want to spend a great deal. I'm in the UK not the USA but Canon is available here and other people have recommended this brand also as being very good print quality for the price. It's given me a starting point but i just have to check about that removable cover on any of the models. Unlike you Brian, I don't want to mess around with separate inks though i realise it isn't the most economical option. I don't do enough printing or need fabulous quality printing. I'm used to the two cartridge mode.

My lexmark has a paper tray that holds lots of sheets and I can print numbers of copies. the sheets feed through automatically. Is that what you mean by the "automatic multi-sheet document feeder". If so the lexmark has the auto document feeder plus the removable scanner top. Have I been spoiled?

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:55 PM

And actual amount you would like to spend would be nice.  A great deal can mean different things to different people.  It could be sub $100 US for some people and less than $500 US for others.

Sounds like you want a scanner that also prints.  The scanning function is more important to you than the printing function.

I'm not familiar with non-US vendors so I can't be of much help on the where to get something.

From what I'm seeing scanning from a book is a higher end option for most printers.  You're looking at an office style multi-function device at $450 US on up.

If there is a store that you can physically inspect them you might be able to find one that the cover lifts either up or off.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,995 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

From what I'm seeing scanning from a book is a higher end option for most printers.  You're looking at an office style multi-function device at $450 US on up.

If there is a store that you can physically inspect them you might be able to find one that the cover lifts either up or off.

I have to take issue with the "scanning from a book" statement as far as price goes.  I was doing book scanning on a Canon MP250 that cost $29 when new.  That was with OCR as well.  Yes, you had to mask off a page if part of it was on the scanner at the same time as another, but a sheet of paper handles that issue with ease.

I agree that going to stores that carry these devices and, just as importantly, have units out for display is a very good approach as far as finding something that works for you, any you.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:43 PM

I personally tend to to go with 2 devices instead of one...I don't like losing 2 functions when 1 component has problems and there are (IMO) quality printers and quality scanners available (from Canon and others) that are good standalone products with reasonable prices.

Louis

#8 Merylly

Merylly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:11 AM

I guess I'm thinking of around the £65 mark. after Brexit I'm not sure what that is in dollars! I paid about that equivalent (years ago)for my lexmark muti tasker which does everything I want it to do beautifully - well past tense now.

I think all the functions are equally important to me. I don't do a lot of scanning but that which i do is to scan in my paintings which are usually bigger than the scan area so i have to choose which bit is important to capture. A hinged lid is useless for this purpose so i can't have this configuration.

You've all been helpful and you are right - I shall just have to schlep around a few stores and see what is there. I'll be looking at the Canons first.

Thanks to all

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:00 PM

britechguy, when I was talking about book scanning I was talking about printers/scanners that the cover can be lifted a few inches to accommodate the book's spine.  This allows for better scans.  Learned a whole lot about book scanners yesterday.

Sure you can scan books with most scanners, but those designed for the process will provide a better scan.  Unfortunately searching for printers with book scanning didn't give me any decent results at an affordable rate.

Back to Merylly 65 pounds is about $81.25 US today.  Amazon UK has the Epson WorkForce WF-2510WF for 64.12 pounds.  According to the manual it has a magazine scan setting.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,995 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:46 PM

Kilroy,

These days I don't know of many scanners that don't have covers that can be lifted or removed entirely for scanning bulky items like books unless they have built-in document feeders.  My low-end scanners have almost all had "lift off" lids and some had relatively long plastic "insert arms" that would allow them to lift up without lifting out.

It's just not all that difficult to find a scanner or multi-function that can scan a book pretty easily provided we're not talking large format books.

Most scanning settings such as magazine settings have to do with how things will be descreened, etc., which is less frequently needed with books if one is scanning text only.  I had good luck with standard settings for mixed printed images and text when black & white images were used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users