Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icons wont go to edge of 2nd monitor after ugrade to LM 18.1 Cinnamon (Serena)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:08 AM

I upgraded from Sarah to Serena the other night

Easy as pie.....less then 10 minutes.

On my second monitor, the icons will not sit close to the edge of the screen.....whereas before the upgrade they would.

Got me stumped

Edit..added screenshot

kyulfo.png

Edited by Condobloke, 22 February 2017 - 04:11 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bumping

bumping

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:00 AM

Maybe this will help by giving a area of research.

SEEMS, 18.1 stopped that

I was reading about something else.

Seen a post, a apparently experienced & long time mint user, was chiding about how Mint changed the border actions

Started out about the taboo area at the top of the screen, & hot zones

NOW WITH THAT SAID ...

my 1st time linux install is 18.1 Cinnamon

1 PC, 1 monitor.

none the desktop icons will go to the edge

Browser and Terminal will.

Edited by bumping, 22 February 2017 - 09:06 AM.

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:55 AM

Asking the bleeding obvious here, but for Justin (Just IN case):

• Have you tried right-clicking and checking/unchecking a combination of Keep Aligned and Organise Desktop by Name? - keep aligned is like the old "snap to grid" in Windozey
  • Cinnamon 3.2 used in Serena supports vertical panel, you could put that there and then remove?
  • With your 2 monitors, do you have them "mirrored" or otherwise?
  • You could try changing the screen resolution of the offending monitor?

Haven't got a Serena Cinnamon on board at the moment, only a MATE, so can't help further

Good luck

:wizardball: Wizard

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,805 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:10 PM

I have arrived at a compromise..

Followed the instructions :

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/3#TOC-Cinnamon-Mate-and-Xfce:-turn-off-all-visual-effects

Cinnamon, Mate and Xfce: turn off all visual effects

6. Visual effects are nice, but they can slow down your system and even cause stability problems. That's why Cinnamon, Mate and Xfce have only a few visual effects enabled by default.

You can gain some speed and stability when you turn off those as well. Proceed as follows:

Turn off visual effects in Cinnamon

6.1. Disabling the "heavy" visual effects in Cinnamon, consists out of three steps:

a. First do this:
Menu button - Preferences - Effects
Turn off everything there.

b. Then do this:
Menu button - Preferences - System Settings
Section Preferences: General
Disable compositing for full-screen windows: set the slider to ON.

c. Finally:
Menu button - Preferences - Window Tiling
Enable Window Tiling and Snapping: set the switch to OFF.

Note: all this disabling has at least one negative side effect (which is a bug): when you try now to launch your media player from within the sound applet in the desktop task bar, Cinnamon will crash. Launching your media player from the menu is thankfully still no problem, though.

I consider this easily avoidable bug as a small price to pay, for the system resources that you've freed for more important tasks....

I then moved the resolution to

1280 x 1024 (5:4)

and at least I have 'normal' size icons.......

but they still dont sit close to the edge of the screen

So the collective intelligence of BC's Linux forum has not solved this one.

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:27 AM

OK, so I've got Serena Cinnamon on board now in the Garage, so let's start over the weekend, and if you've got rid of it I'd be forced to kill you, but Member bumping has it, so it will not go to waste, lol.

If this is a Support Topic, I have just transgressed, my bad, Mods. But I see it as being for discussion on different viewpoints and methods, it is not "life-threatening".

First up. I need to know the size of the Monitors, which is Primary, which is secondary, are they Mirrored or not? What are the resolutions set, currently?

Can you post a screenshot of "the other Monitor" 's display?

Cheers all and

Avagudweegend

So the collective intelligence of BC's Linux forum has not solved this one.

... I resemble that remark

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,805 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:03 AM

G'day Wiz.....I was tempted to go back to Sarah Cinnamon...but decided to persist.

My main monitor is a samsung 24".....less than 12 months old. All good

The second monitor (with the problem) is a HP 19"...approx 11 years old

It had no problem prior to the update to Serena

They are not mirrored. The 24" i use 90% of the time because with my failing eyesight it has a far better display than the hp...

So I keep a bunch of icons on the 19" hp,....it gets full to overflowing when I am in the middle of something.

I do have a 'core' selection of icons which are permanently placed....if i was to measure the distance from the edge at the moment to the side of the icon ....22mm. It will not go closer on either side or the top.......but will go relatively close along the bottom

I can pick up an icon and shift it to the 24", and it will sit as close to the edge as I care to place it.

The resolution on the 24" is 1920 x 1080 (16:9)

19" is 1280 x 1024 (5:4)

Below is the 24"

28a493b.jpg

Dont mind admitting.....it has me knackered.

The 'collective intelligence' was an ever so 'polite' reminder to the rest of the ensembled throng that no one bar yourself has shown any interest. (and now probably wont ! )

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:04 PM

As likely as not, there is a config file somewhere that describes proximity to the (desktop) border, of icons, in pixels or alternate measurement, and that will be able to be tweaked.

I just have to find it. :scratchhead:

Meantime, here is a picture of my Serena Cinnamon desktop and I will explain a little:

sjXC99W.png

I first right-clicked on the desktop and unticked "Keep Aligned". I then moved Home and Computer as far left as possible until they started to disappear, released, and they snapped to where they are currently.

I then made some dummy folders and named them as you see. Note that the text you name with, when highlighted as a green backgrounded oblong shape, determines how close to the border you can go.

I then tweaked one of the "supercali..." names, adding spaces to force extra lines, and was able to get the highlighted one closer to the border.

With both the larger file icon "newer" and the small directory icon "Clonezilla..." I have right-clicked and resized the icons, one small, one large.

All very tedious, and not likely to be your cup of tea, nor mine, lol.

An alternate option would include grouping your icons under categories in a small number of folders, giving them short but descriptive names, and align the resultant folders close to your border.

I do have a dual display setup here in the garage, but the 23" belongs to the ACER All-in-One and has not worked (provided a visible display) for 2 years, so I have the Dell 19" (also 11 years old, like your HP) running the show.

If I find anything new I'll be back, other than that, if you revert to 'Sarah' perhaps just sing out and I will put my research on the back burner.

Cheers

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,805 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:41 PM

In the interim I have thrown a few thought around.

I use timehshift....(always a good idea to keep a spare copy of the 'setup')

So...In the home folder....there is a file .....config/nemo.....called desktop-metadata....which I thought may store the icon positions etc....

SO i have copied and pasted the current setup to a newly made document...then deleted it....and then copied and pasted the setup from the same folder/file in timeshift....

made no difference at all.

As you said...super tedious....and a pain in the butt.

Might just restore one of the timeshift copies and leave it at that......

EDit...spelling

Edited by Condobloke, 24 February 2017 - 07:41 PM.

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,805 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:26 PM

Reading the page linked below.....

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1650977

Looks like there are more than a few bugs in the rotten horrible ^*^**^*^ of a thing.....

I will 'Timeshift' it back to Sarah later in the day.

#10 bumping

bumping

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:43 PM

Question.

"An alternate option would include grouping your icons under categories in a small number of folders, giving them short but descriptive names, and align the resultant folders close to your border."

what about duplicating the stock folders (with contents), with a diff name?

would that get around the placement limit?

then perhaps delete the stock folders

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,805 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:25 AM

I have invoked timeshift ( sorry bumping...didnt see your post)

All is back as it was......except that I now have no trash can/rubbish bin....

cant find it anywhere !

oh well...such is life !

#12 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:34 AM

@bumping:

I am not sure what an outcome would be on that, but your eagerness to help is uplifting ... goodonyer :thumbup2:

SO i have copied and pasted the current setup to a newly made document...then deleted it....and then copied and pasted the setup from the same folder/file in timeshift....

In the end, Brian (Condobloke) was "close but no cigar" with #8 on metadata.

In there are x and y co-ordinates (by pixel) for where the desktop icons are placed. An example of mine currently is in the Spoiler

Spoiler

On the lines "nemo-icon-position", the figure left of the comma is horizontal from the left in pixels, the figure right of the comma is vertical pixels measured down from the top of the display.

So on a display with a resolution of

19" is 1280 x 1024 (5:4)

... for Brian's HP monitor and my Dell monitor, those figures reflect the limits that can be applied to where the icons are placed.

See this screenshot, from the Dell:

p36crhV.png

The above was my rearrangement of 3 icons on a revised 'Serena' Cinnamon (borked the first one, had to reinstall)

Then, modifying the metadata file:

PkqZKDL.png

I used a figure of 1 for the x co-ordinate - zero and negative numbers seem to have no impact.

Note that the "r" in "RosaMATE-USB", the "c" in "Computer", and the "h" in "Home" are all vertically aligned, but with icons slightly non-aligned. This lends credence to what I said before about short names for icons and folders manufactured by the User.

My xrandr output from Terminal is as follows:

Spoiler

It shows that I have two (2) screens in the Garage, but only the Dell works properly (that is DVI-I-1 connected primary)

These xrandr figures are more comprehensive than you can get under alternatives such as "Settings - Display". Discussion on that is for elsewhere, but xrandr is a useful tool in your tool-belt.

The 3rd screenshot follows:

tW80lxK.png

This is what happens when, in the metadata file, I change "icon-scale=1" to "icon-scale=10" for the Computer entry ... I will change it back, lol.

There seems to be an inconsistency between whether the changes effected take place in real time, and /or whether to log out and log back in. I have not worked all that out yet.

For The Viewers:

The file modified can be found in your File Manager, by clicking Home, and then Ctrl-h to show hidden files and folders, then tunnel down through .config & Nemo to the metadata.

The metadata file does not require elevated privileges to change and save, but as a safeguard I would advise making a copy, eg :

cp desktop-metadata desktop-metadata.bkp

... This can then be restored from another Distro if you multiboot like I do, or from a Live installation CD/DVD/USB - simply by putting back the original.

Edited by wizardfromoz, 25 February 2017 - 01:35 AM.

#13 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:38 AM

Brian - System Settings - Desktop ... move Rubbish Bin Off to On

:wizardball:

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,805 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:47 AM

Did that......checked it numerous times....changed screen reolutions a few times in case it was hiding out of sight....again, no cigar

created a new user....moved rubbish bin to on there...no problem...it appeared

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,805 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:15 AM

Got it !!

Followed the blurb HERE  

Quote ""I have 2 monitors as well, both with different resolutions and what not,
main mon is 30" dell and second is 24" viewsonic.
I figure out that most of the icons are outside of the viewing area to the left top.
try creating some icon on the main desktop close to the left top corner.
than pres Control + A and drug the icon you can see down. my bet it will bring other icons to the view.""

In my case the trash icon used be close to the bottom righthand corner of the second screen...

SO....I hit ctrl A which selected all icons....then dragged the nearest icon to the bottom right hand side....and low and behold !!....out comes the TRASH icon, which was "hiding"....out of sight !!....along with a few other shortcuts which I had given up on and replaced

(Remind of the perils of updating when I propose to try it again)

Edited by Condobloke, 25 February 2017 - 02:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users