Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:30 AM

I'm still on the regular 3.5 SATA HDDs but I have a question about SSDs.

I do a lot of video and photo editing on my computer and some of my folders have over 10,000 files

so whenever I open the folder to start looking through the files, it seems pretty slow to me to load the thumbnails.

I have to scroll down for minutes and the thumbnails are still loading (even on brand new HDDs).

My question is, will a SSD pretty much eliminate this problem?  If I am storing my 10,000 files/photos/videos or 50,000 and I need to sift through them to view the thumbs, will it load almost instantly without all the lagging noises and loading time on a regular 3.5" SATA HDD??

I've never really experience first-hand a SSD and how it performs so I'm very curious if it's that much faster and makes loading thumbnails pretty much instant.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,241 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:42 AM

My question is, will a SSD pretty much eliminate this problem?  If I am storing my 10,000 files/photos/videos or 50,000 and I need to sift through them to view the thumbs, will it load almost instantly without all the lagging noises and loading time on a regular 3.5" SATA HDD??

It will speed it up and cut the lag considerably , is the best answer anybody can give you.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:26 AM

Thanks, I guess that's all there is to it.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:23 AM

There are other factors which should be taken into consideration, like how much RAM do you have installed, what processor are you using etc.  By providing the following we will have a much better idea of what you have going.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:30 AM

Thanks!

I am running Windows 7 Ulitimate 64 bit

AMD Phenom II X6 1075T

8 GB DDR3 ram

Biostar A880GU3 mobo

GeForce 6600 GT graphics card

I'm a little confused about one thing.  If I buy a SSD i noticed the connectors are the same for SATA drives.  So if I just connect the SSD to my PC via the sata cables, is the speed of the SSD limited to whatever the max speed/read/write of the Sata cables?

So if SSDs are faster than whatever SATA cables are capable of running, then doesn't it defeat the purpose of having a faster SSD if it's not going to matter because the SATA cables can't take advantage of the SSD speeds?  Or are Sata cables faster than SSD speeds?

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:00 AM

Yes the transfer rate is limited to the maximum the interface can handle.  There are basically three generations of SATA connection.  SATA I, SATA II, and SATA III, which correspond with maximum transfer rates of 150, 300 and 600 megabytes per second, respectively.  Your motherboard supports SATA II (300 MBps), so the transfer rate of an SSD will be limited to that,

That is still faster than most mechanical HDD's can manage. The other big advantage with SSD's is access times which are much faster than mechanical drives.  With a HDD, when access to a file is required, the head within the disk drive has to move across the surface of the disk to the right area in order to read it. Worst case, it has to move across the entire surface of the disk to get the file needed. This introduces access time delays. SSD's have no moving parts and access times are very much lower (fractions of a millisecond).  The access time improvement is IMO what makes the biggest difference to the overall feeling of speed when loading and using an operating system. The highest transfer rates will be noticed most when reading and writing large files, but when accessing hundreds or thousands of small files, it's the access time improvements that will be felt most.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:17 PM

thanks jonuk76!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users