Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Factory Images Repository

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ZyxyZ

ZyxyZ

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:29 PM

I am currently in school for IT, but have been an IT consultant on the side for many years, mainly for medical offices and warehouses. I've done so many fresh installs and setting up computers to certain specs over the years, and I can get a computer ready in about 15 minutes or so (not counting the windows installs and updates). So what I started doing is for some of the businesses I do work for, I format the HDD, slap fresh install of windows (whatever flavor), do all the updates, and then take an image of the drive through macrium refelct in the winpe environment. I save them on the server or NAS so in the future if we change drives or it fails or just want a fresh feel, we can load that exact image right back up. 

I've noticed that I've also been working with a lot of the same model of computers (mostly Dell optiplex's and some inspirons in the business environment). So I started keeping images of every different model I work on, and if I come across another computer with the same model that needs to be redone, I can just load that image and adjust the product key if need be (most of these are using oem disks so I believe the key is pulled from the bios right?) I've done this a couple times on some test computers and it seems to be working.

So I've been wondering if there is any kind of site or repository of these kinds of images from different vendors (dell, hp, acer, sony, etc), and whether doing it this way would have any negative effects. It seems to be much faster (can load an image in less than 20 minutes with all the installed files and updates already on it) versus just doing a clean install every single time. Hope to hear all of your thoughts on this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

Common to many computer companies, Dell is just one name of many, you're doing what I used to call a "net station download".  You are very thorough!  The only problem set you might run into:  drivers for specific hardware.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users