Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft is acting like a cult

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:32 PM

I found this article on social media its talking about how supposedly Microsoft is doing shady things to open source developers. Please share your thoughts.

http://techrights.org/2017/02/20/article-about-microsoft-cult-tactics/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:53 PM

Well, it certainly doesn't surprise me. Just another reason for me not to support Microsoft by purchasing Windows 10 or anything after for that matter.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:52 PM

All the more reason why a steadily increasing number of people are showing an interest in Linux

(or whatever I get later, likely Linux)....in THIS TOPIC is just one such indication....

(and on that subject there is a Poll here  concerning the increasing numbers to linux...)

It has been said over and over that msft are a $centric corporation, driven by greed and precious little else

The day of the free lunch has gone down the plug hole. (if in fact it ever existed)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:55 PM

The article offers nothing but quotes from anonymous unverifiable persons, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

#5 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 803 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:53 AM

All I saw in that article was a lot of unsupported paranoia, there was nothing solid or factual, just a lot of supposition and speculation based on very little (if any) real evidence.

Now personally I wouldn't trust Microsoft as far as I could carry a safe, but that doesn't mean that they're the source of all evil, or have some sort of "masterplan" to put everybody else out of business (or at least no more than any other large corporation has).

#6 DodoIso

DodoIso

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:43 AM

As much as I blame Microsoft for many things, this article is nothing but ALTERNATE FACTS.  :hysterical:

#7 bumping

bumping

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:22 AM

which corp is above pulling a RedHat if they can?

*any* publicly Traded company  is exactly that, a cult.

Jim Jones didn't bother with a collection plate.

He basicly had them doing direct deposit

Edited by bumping, 22 February 2017 - 08:32 AM.

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:23 PM

Removed.

Edited by The-Toolman, 22 February 2017 - 04:46 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

I read that entire article and did a lot of snooping around on the InterWeb (a fun 2 hours spent) and that article is just silly fake news.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:31 PM

Fake News,

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:23 PM

.....or, to put it another way, it's nowt but 'click-bait'.  :rolleyes:

Stat. (M$'s 'masterplan' hasn't changed from the famous 3 'E's of the late 90's/early 00s.)

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 22 February 2017 - 05:25 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:22 PM

Yeah I agree its got to be fake news. After all what would Microsoft have to gain from destroying open source projects/products, I mean the function of a corporation is to make money and how would this make them any profit? :scratchhead:

#13 bumping

bumping

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

is a possibility they could gain ... less open source, more reliability on proprietary

which assures continued purchase of windows licenses.

and didn't ms announce that at some point semi soon, they are going to start charging for software updates?

and aren't they moving to make ms live, like steam.....already is, but i mean more so, by tying in more and more of windows software dependent upon live

such as, change form outlook to live, for email

do some digging and can find ms does do some help with opern source projects

many co's do

more open source than can use, less they have to pay in royalities and licenses.

also better they can se/plan what directions to go.... open source can do this, maye we should figure out how to do it as well, and even get ahead of it.

there are advantages to both sides, especially when your the OS leader

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,664 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:22 PM

I didn't read it, because it is quite clear to me that MS has got the market, all of it for the most part, a legal monopoly if you will.  And they will do anything they can to keep it as long as it is legal in the eyes of the law.  I wonder how many lawsuits they have against folks of the opensource? hmm, is it even worth me researching?

And what bothers me is they can't even make a few alternative OS's for folks to choose from like the Opensource community.  I started a thread here about how I thought they should create at least one alternative OS for the Seniors.  They surely don't need all these complicated programs and new ways of doing things every time MS decides they want to add some new features...arggggg.  I've been working with many seniors lately and most are very confused at all the new ways to do things in Windows 10.  One of the points to that Thread is, if they are making so much money, why don't they support some of the people that support them?  Cult? I think Monopoly is a better description, but hey, I didn't even read the article...sorry.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:55 PM

I've been working with many seniors lately and most are very confused at all the new ways to do things in Windows 10

What is so different that people are confused?

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users