Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIFI Randomly Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mr2089

Mr2089

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:24 PM

Hello, I really don't know where to start. My WiFi was working perfectly until I installed hide.me vpn app and uninstalled it. I actually installed several vpns and uninstalled them then my WiFi started acting funny. I could see all of the available networks but it wouldn't connect to any of them. It's not the router because all the other devices connect perfectly.

Now it doesn't find any networks and the WiFi is constantly at x. My wan miniport (ip) and wan miniport ipv4 had the yellow exclamation symbol next to them so I uninstalled them (I Google how to fix). Still nothing so I tried to do a system restore before I installed any of the vpns but my PC won't even do that and says I may have corrupted files. Tried sys/ scannow but honestly have no idea what that even did. Tried reinstall Network adapter but that does nothing and it says I don't have a network adapter.

I'm at the point now of taking it to a repair shop, factory reset, or just saving money to buy a new PC then copy files I need to that hard drive. Been at this all day and I'm ready to give up so any insight would help before I chuck this thing out the window. Please help I need Internet for many many things.

Specs: Windows 8 (64 bit)
Acer aspire V5
Amd graphics
750 hdd

20-30 ft from router (router is not the issue)
Comcast Wifi

Edited by Mr2089, 21 February 2017 - 09:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:30 PM

Are there any yellow exclamation marks next to your network adapters in Device Manager? There should be a three digit number after V5. It could be on a sticker in the battery compartment or on the bottom of the computer?

Note: If you reset you will lose all your data on the hard drive. Refresh is what you would want but all your programs would need to be reinstalled.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 February 2017 - 09:31 PM.

#3 Mr2089

Mr2089
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:36 PM

There's one by TAP-windows Adapter V9 #8. I installed that one just to see of it would do anything so I'm not sure if it affects the WiFi. It's saying "No networks found".

V5-552p-x617

Edited by Mr2089, 21 February 2017 - 09:41 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:48 PM

Can you connect with a Ethernet cable? The Tap adapter has to deal with VPNs. See this page on uninstalling the TAP adapter. 

After uninstalling the adapter download Windows Repair using Ethernet if possible. Run the program and only check Network Repair.

Do you see any other adapters listed under Network Adapters in Device Manager?

#5 Mr2089

Mr2089
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:48 PM

Adapters

Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter

Qualcomm Atheros ARBWB222 Wireless Network Adapter

PdaNet Broadband Adapter

It ran the repair and said repair done in cmd. Do I restart it now?

#6 Mr2089

Mr2089
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:58 PM

Yeah it's still saying no networks found. I don't understand it was working fine this morning never had this problem ever even when I did system restores before.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:26 AM

Reinstall the driver for Atheros here. Click the green download button and wait a bit. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. Delete all files without the X suffix as those are 32bit. Install the driver by right clicking your adapter in Device Manager and selecting update driver. Point it to the inf file in the unzipped folder on the desktop. Create a restore point before installing this driver.

Can you connect via Ethernet?

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 February 2017 - 08:26 AM.

#8 Mr2089

Mr2089
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:31 AM

I can connect via ethernet.

System restore doesn't work it says I have corrupted files. I did a sfc/ scannow and it says some files are corrupted but I don't know which ones. So until I found out I can't system restore.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:22 AM

I don't have experience diagnosing sfc logs so hopefully somebody on the forum can check the logs.

#10 Mr2089

Mr2089
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:50 AM

Ok thank you

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:17 PM

Did you try updating the Wifi driver in my post #7?

There is an option to refresh in Windows 8 but you would need to reinstall all your programs.

#12 Mr2089

Mr2089
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

I have a ton of things on here that took forever to get working right. Is there a way to back it up in a cloud or something? Also when I tried updating the driver it wouldn't let me select the inf. There's no sub folder when I try to select it even though its in there it just shows the folder name

Edited by Mr2089, 22 February 2017 - 06:35 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:30 PM

Not really. For the size you are talking about it would be best to create a complete disk image to an external drive using a program like Macrium Reflect and you would still need to reinstall all your programs. You could pull files from the image should you need them but as far as the programs themselves they would need to be reinstalled from scratch and all security updates too. Not an optimal solution.

By restore point I meant to use System Restore to create a restore point before installing the driver if that is what the question was concerning. Have you tried reinstalling the driver? I would uninstall the driver in Device Manager for the Atheros and then reinstall using my link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeiCgKAHnTo

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 February 2017 - 06:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users