Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer of domain name/security issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shortypants

shortypants

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:54 PM

All,

I am assisting a non-techie associate who has website through a third-party provider such as Godaddy.

For years his site pointed to domain name, which I'll call "buzzybee."  The full address was buzzybee.godaddy.com, or something like that but on the web if you went to buzzybee.com you got his website.

He stopped the site temporarily and then someone (the "intruder") took the name "buzzybee" knowing that my associate had been using it.  When he demanded that the intruder return the name to him, the intruder said he needed proof that my friend was the original owner of the buzzybee site.

The intruder said that my associate needed to provide the "A-record" setup for the domain.  The intruder said he would point the domain to associate's server.  Then my associate would make changes to the site in order to prove that it was his (or something like that).  At that time, intruder would agree to unlock the buzzybee domain and transfer the domain.

My associate does not trust this third-party who seems tech savvy and might be trying to access the website or personal information.  

Does this sound like a ploy by the intruder?  Can sharing A-record information expose my associate to security risks?  What exactly A-record information exists and would need to be shared with the intruder?  Could this pose a security risk?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:37 PM

If your friend calls the domain name provider will point the A record it may take up to 24 hours to go through.
It sounds like your friend did not pay the renewal on either the domain name or the hosting plan.
Even if those are not paid on time the aforementioned provider will usually let you slide.
Unless someone else purchased the domain name.

#3 shortypants

shortypants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

The problem is someone else began using the domain name.  I do not think he purchased it from godaddy but I guess this is possible.  I think he just started using it.

The new user of the domain name is willing to transfer it back.  The question is whether my friend can share A-record information to prove ownership.  I did my best to explain this in my original post.  Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users