Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC's off for a long time won't boot.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aharmon

aharmon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:43 PM

I have 6 pc's that have been off for 1 to 3 years (Asus and Gigabyte mother boards).  They all have the same problem of appearing completely dead.  Multiple power supplies have been tested and work on other computers.  The CMOS batteries have been changed.  Peripherals have been disconnected.  I tried unplugging the PSU and holding the power button to "discharge" ? the capacitors.  Some of the MB's have a light which turns on, others don't.

Is there a trick to spark life into pc's that have been sitting around too long?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:34 AM

Disconnect the Drive .

Boot and see if you can Access Bios , set to Defaults.

Try with One stick of Ram.

Connect Drive and try again.

Otherwise ensure drive is ok , slave to working PC and if you have access to it.

To many variables , but if PSU is ok , then i usually strip everything and rebuild from scratch , and Reinstall Windows.

You could try a Linux Distro on Disk and boot from that to rule out Mobo , Mem , etc. if that works then start looking at HDrive.

#3 aharmon

aharmon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:32 AM

Thank you for the response and the suggestions.  At this point I have only a memory stick, cpu w/fan plugged into the MB.  MB has power, light is lit, but no response when power is turned on.  Not from the PSU or cpu fan.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:30 AM

Appears that may be the motherboards  are faulty in some respect... i mean; they have been sitting for some time for some reason?

I do not want to seem simplistic but machines are not (usually) stored for years if they are useful?

#5 aharmon

aharmon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:15 AM

You are right, they were replaced for a reason, but most was because the OS was still XP and we needed a newer version at that work station.  Now I can use Ubuntu, which does not have a problem with drivers like Windows.  Oddly enough the really older pc's, that are just too slow to use, do not seem to have this problem at all.  Thanks for the reply.

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:37 PM

I have 6 pc's that have been off for 1 to 3 years.... They all have the same problem of appearing completely dead....

Now I can use Ubuntu, which does not have a problem with drivers like Windows.  Oddly enough the really older pc's...do not seem to have this problem at all....

Are we saying that all the machines are now booting? If not; has anything changed with the non-booting machines other than getting one to boot from Ubuntu?

I am a bit confused but that is nothing new....

#7 aharmon

aharmon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:09 PM

No, nothing has been fixed.  I have about 20 old PC's, the majority of which don't have the speed or the memory capabilities to really do anything with.  I hoard.  The 6 that I was trying to put back into our operation, have the potential, but are dead.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:21 PM

I would look for any bulging or leaking capacitors on the MB. You may also want to attach and detach the PSU to the motherboard a few time in case there is oxidation on the MB connectors. 

#9 aharmon

aharmon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:47 PM

Thank you, that was one of the first suggestions I found online, about bulging capacitors.  MB's looks clean and good, no dirt, rust, etc.  The PSU, I have tried up to 3 different ones (that all work with other systems), so I will exercising the connection more..

So nobody has ever had a problem with a no power situation after sitting around that wasn't tracked to the PSU, CMOS battery?  I builit a SOYO system for a friend who let it sit in his office for 8 months before trying to turn it on.  Same kind of problem.  Maybe I am jinxed.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:01 PM

I have heard that some computer's will not boot with a dead CMOS battery but that cannot be your problem as you replaced them with new. Usually you will at least get a post error. Are these MB's in the case? Have you tried breadboarding the system? If they are in the case you can detach the power switch at the MB header and short the two pins to start the computer. This would rule out the power switch of the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users