Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do we get all (or most) of the Speccy data to show in 'inxi -Fxz'

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:36 PM

I suppose the Topic header says it all, or is basically the question. :)

In particular, the temps for GPU, MB (some has no sensors & not even Speccy picks this up), the CPU, installed HDD/SSD's. 

Plus the current resource usage, which can be found under System Tools > System Monitor running Linux Mint, though these things would be good to see in a inxi -Fxz snapshot. Of course the CPU usage is shown, though the temps for most of the rest aren't, nor are resource usage, in particular RAM, though does show the installed amount.

Are there tools I'm missing out on that can be installed to display such information in a snapshot? :question:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VdNfD4FgCYxhI2ON7dXR8HM

Note that I prefer 'inxi -Fxz' only for privacy (as Speccy also uses), as some unwanted information can be leaked without adding the 'z' at the end of the code (inxi -Fx) that some members prefers to use. For that reason, it's best to use the script as I do. Here's things as it stands now, obviously not the equivalent of a Speccy snapshot, which I just posted last night, last line in my sig, same as above, though that's on the other side of the dual boot PC. Most of my computers are dual booting Windows & Linux Mint, a couple Windows only, and one Linux Mint only, though the latter may change. There's two less frequent used XP computers, that for the most part isn't used, except for Linux Mint 18 installed 'side by side' on one, the other not used at all (for now) is XP Home only. That one, a Dimension 2400, am considering a MB swap on to make it somewhat more modern, though as a tribute to my mother-in-law, will keep the name intact. 

Spoiler

Thanks for any suggestions offered! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:22 PM

Open the terminal and copy and paste this command.

Then enter your password press enter wait a wait until it finishes and then open downloads and you should find a file marked "lshw" open it up.

sudo lshw > lshw.txt

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:20 PM

Maybe this neither fits your needs, but you can give it a try.

sudo inxi -Fdmosxxxz

To show if there are missing tools (e.g. hddtemp, lm-sensors...) that can add extra info to the output report:

inxi --recommends

There is a graphical tool called I-Nex which shows hardware information and has some additional export options.

Not exactly for the same purpouse: Glances can be used to monitor system resources.

Edited by nuna, 21 February 2017 - 05:52 PM.

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

Nice tip, Toolman

BUT an amendment - your command will save the file to /home/<yourusername> , not Downloads

@nuna -  no need for <sudo>

Cat is also looking for core temps, which can be found with "sensors"

chris@sarah-cinnamon ~ $ sensors
nouveau-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:            N/A  (high = +95.0°C, hyst =  +3.0°C)
                       (crit = +105.0°C, hyst =  +5.0°C)
                       (emerg = +135.0°C, hyst =  +5.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0:  +49.0°C  (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:         +46.0°C  (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:         +47.0°C  (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2:         +46.0°C  (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3:         +48.0°C  (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Or else he could download psensor

sudo apt-get install psensor -y

Cheers all

:wizardball: Wizard

#5 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:51 PM

@wizardfromoz - Not required usually, but it allows inxi to get extra information (e.g. from dmidecode)

Edited by nuna, 21 February 2017 - 05:52 PM.

#6 bumping

bumping

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:50 PM

Sorry if

If I am messing up.

I don't know enough to be a direct help.

However, for LM, I have been trying to find info about fan & temp control

such info is a bit sparse.

What I did find, referred to:

fancontrol - automated software based fan speed regulation

See Also
pwmconfig, sensors

Maybe the terms will branch in the direction your looking for.

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:55 PM

Nice tip, Toolman

BUT an amendment - your command will save the file to /home/<yourusername> , not Downloads

Cheers all

You are right.

Been on them Windows Computers to long today. :wink:

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:18 PM

@Chris (Wiz):-

Curiously, I've just discovered, due to your mentioning it, that pSensors even works in Pup! I've installed it in Tahr64, from the Ubuntu repos (which Tahr has access to).....and it's working a treat. Probably cause it's GTK 2.0-based (which all Pups can handle.....even the elderly 2.0 series), although some of our lads'n'lasses have now developed a workaround for the GTK 3.0 stuff that FireFox insists on using these days.

So that gives me GKrellM, 01Micko's pmcputemp tray applet.....and now pSensors. Yay! I used to use it all the time when I ran the 'buntus; I was rather lost without it for a while when I first moved to Pup.

Can't say as I don't have a choice of ways to monitor temps'n'stuff now..!

Thanks for reminding me of it. Cheers.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#9 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:36 PM

This may be some help for most Linux distros.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SensorInstallHowto

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:52 PM

I always install these sensors when testing pc's out in a Live Session, but usually just run lmsensors and install psensor.  This is a great thread to start for sure.  I'm always wanting to know if a laptop is needing a good cleaning by the Temps it's showing.  And in psensors you can Set a Max Temp to show a warning when getting to hot, I really liked this feature and is why I pursued it long ago.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:27 PM

I always install these sensors when testing pc's out in a Live Session, but usually just run lmsensors and install psensor.  This is a great thread to start for sure.  I'm always wanting to know if a laptop is needing a good cleaning by the Temps it's showing.  And in psensors you can Set a Max Temp to show a warning when getting to hot, I really liked this feature and is why I pursued it long ago.

I air hose the computers out every three or four months and never have any overheating problems.

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,937 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:17 PM

@ The-Toolman...same here. unplug everything...carry to workshop....drain the air compressor tank to get rid of moisture in the line (although the heat here usually takes care of any moisture in the line)....and after taking the side off...blow.....gently

At times I supplement this with a small paint brush to give the fans etc a wipe over, also the inside of the case if necessary.

@ bumping...no apologies necessary here.....and :welcome:  to BC !!!!

I usually search via google (doesnt everybody !?)....and i click on tools to then set the age of the answers I receive...

....there is a mountain of info out there....not all of it pertinent...but most of it interesting at the very least.

I will not include any of it here....because that would start to steer cat1092's topic off in a direction which it is not meant to go......we are currently taking a poll to determine the forums feelings re two separate areas for Support and Discussion.

This topic would fall under the heading of Support. Introducing material about outputs of sensors and configurationof fancontrols etc would be contrary to the idea of support.

Edited by Grinler, 13 June 2017 - 10:46 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#13 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:21 PM

@nuna:

@wizardfromoz - Not required usually, but it allows inxi to get extra information (e.g. from dmidecode)

My bad :blush: ... I had come across that before and forgotten ... picture Wizard pulling his head in like a turtle, lol

@bumping:

Sorry if

If I am messing up.

I don't know enough to be a direct help.

However, for LM, I have been trying to find info about fan & temp control

such info is a bit sparse.

What I did find, referred to:

fancontrol - automated software based fan speed regulation

See Also
pwmconfig, sensors

Maybe the terms will branch in the direction your looking for.

:welcome: to BC and to the Linux & Unix Section - hope you enjoy your stay here!

@Mike:

@Chris (Wiz):-

Curiously, I've just discovered, due to your mentioning it, that pSensors even works in Pup! I've installed it in Tahr64, from the Ubuntu repos (which Tahr has access to).....and it's working a treat. Probably cause it's GTK 2.0-based (which all Pups can handle.....even the elderly 2.0 series), although some of our lads'n'lasses have now developed a workaround for the GTK 3.0 stuff that FireFox insists on using these days.

So that gives me GKrellM, 01Micko's pmcputemp tray applet.....and now pSensors. Yay! I used to use it all the time when I ran the 'buntus; I was rather lost without it for a while when I first moved to Pup.

Can't say as I don't have a choice of ways to monitor temps'n'stuff now..!

Thanks for reminding me of it. Cheers.

Mike.  :wink:

Always welcome, friend. Friends pcpunk and cat1092 (the OP - Original Poster) may remember that psensor's author, Jean-Philippe Orsini , is actually a Member here, goes by the handle "jeanfi". Kudos is to him, that his product actually makes it into the Repos of many Distros.

Nice to know.

Cheers all

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:13 AM

Wow, what a response, thanks to all! :guitar:

Am on a different PC as of the moment, though that doesn't matter for this purpose. 

nuna, here's the short file that it took only a couple of seconds to generate. :thumbup2:

Spoiler

The Toolman, sorry for the mixup, I believe this was the first tool requested to run. :)

Spoiler

nuna, here's the second one on your list, there is one recommended missing tool. :thumbup2:

Spoiler

I see at the bottom that is one missing file, hopefully we can fix that. :)

These tools are getting me a bit confused. the posting & all, lets wrap these up into one post.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,937 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:20 AM

On my pc...

Spoiler

(( same file missing....The following files are missing from your system:
File: /var/run/dmesg.boot  ))

Edited by Condobloke, 22 February 2017 - 02:22 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users