Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD eeep

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bagzy121

bagzy121

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:48 AM

Hiya, really need some help but I'm a bit clueless when it comes to pc's now. I have a laptop, it died - so I've taken the HD out and connected it to my pc. Now the pc wont start, can't even get to the bios. The power light is coming on, the fans are spinning. There are 6 other Hds connected. Any help much appreciated.

----- What do you do when somethings bad for you but u just cant let go -----

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:14 AM

How is the hard drive from the laptop connected?  Are you trying to boot from the laptop hard drive?

Louis

#3 bagzy121

bagzy121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:50 AM

Hi Louis, nope tried from existing hd. Now I've taken the laptop hd out and I can get to the bios but it just gives me flashing cursor. Not going well :(

#4 bagzy121

bagzy121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:14 AM

Oh my word, never have been so happy to see "starting windows"... Plugged all the hds back in (Minus the laptop one) ands it's started up. So my next question is how can I determine which hd has the Os system on it so when I plug the laptop hd back in I can choose the correct hd to boot from?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:37 AM

Any hard drive which was a boot drive and reflects an O/S from a totally different computer system...cannot be used as a boot drive on a different system.

The laptop drive reflects an OEM O/S install, with completely different license, drivers, and settings.  I cannot be a boot drive on a different system.

It does not enter into the boot equation at all.

The fact that the system will not boot with the laptop drive attached...would lead me to believe that the laptop drive has a problem.  That problem prevents the system from booting at all with that drive attached.  I would run a hard drive diagnostic on that drive, in an effort to determine if the drive is serviceble and capable of being used as a storage device.

The fact that you stated that the laptop had died...may really be a situation where the hard drive reached the point of failure which would not allow the laptop to function.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 February 2017 - 09:38 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:43 AM

Open Disk Management and look for the drives which have a NTFS format.  Most of the time the C: drive will contain the Windows operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

Louis, dc3, would the thread starter be helped by usb or dvd booting Puppy Linux and using its file manager to copy off data folders and files onto external media -- before the problem HD dies completely?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

@RolandJS

So far I haven't seen anything that indicates a failing drive.  I believe your suggestion is premature if applicable at all.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:04 PM

@RolandJS   So far I haven't seen anything that indicates a failing drive...your suggestion is premature if applicable at all.

I thought I saw this phrase about the HD having troubles...

["...would lead me to believe that the laptop drive has a problem..."]

Edited by RolandJS, 21 February 2017 - 02:56 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:15 PM

badzy121

Going further with what Louis has posted.  A OEM operating system is intended for one installation on one computer and is tied to the motherboard of the computer it was originally installed on.  But there is another problem which will explain the problem of trying to boot from this drive.  If you have ever installed a Windows operating system you should remember that at the end of the installation you will receive a message "Setup is preparing your computer for first use".  It is at this point that drivers are selected for the startup.  The drivers that are installed are for the components belonging with the motherboard.  When you install the ssd/hdd in another computer with a different motherboard it will require different drivers.  For this reason the operating system may not even start because the drivers are incorrect for that different motherboard.

#11 bagzy121

bagzy121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:35 PM

OK let's start over and I'm just going to add this... I'm 25 my husband died last year, this laptop hd has my wedding photos and photos of my loved one that are not replaceable. It's vital that I get them 😔. The pc is now starting up fine, so I have this laptop hd what should my steps be in getting the data that's on it on to my pc safely? I'm led to believe the laptop died because of the motherboard as opposed to the hd.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:08 PM

You can purchase an adapter to connect the hdd to another computer via a USB port.  Something like this.

It would help to know what the operating system is on the computer you will be connecting the 2.5 hdd to.

Once you have the hdd connected to another computer click or tap on This PC.  This should list all of the drives connected to this computer.  If you disconnect everything except for the mouse, keyboard, and this hdd it should be the only hdd connected via a USB port.  Click or tap on this drive and it should open a list which should include Documents and Pictures.  You can select either of these, then place the mouse pointer over the folder and right click on it.  A menu will open with the option Send to, place the pointer on this and another menu will open with locations you can send the folder to.  Just make sure there is enough space in this location to hold this folder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users