Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I find decypher for files with no note

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 rdsmokie

rdsmokie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:09 AM

Hi I have been trying to free up my files for 2 days now with no luck. I was infected with ransomware and I fired up SPYHUNTER 4 and it removed it but my files are all encrypted still. How can I find a decypher for them without a note or should I go back to the site and get reinfected?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:59 AM

We will need more information, what extension was added, any ransom notes?

You can upload an encrypted file and a ransom note to ID-Ransomware, and that will tell you what you are dealing with.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:25 AM

The best way to identify the different ransomwares without the ransom note is the malware file itself, any obvious extensions appended to the encrypted files, samples of those encrypted files and information related to any email address used by the cyber-criminals to request payment.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 rdsmokie

rdsmokie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:53 AM

Just found out it's Spora so Im screwed.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:00 AM

Yes, there is no known way to decrypt files encrypted by Spora without paying the ransom since there is no way to retrieve the malware developer's private key that can be used to decrypt your files. Emsisoft explains why in this news article.

As with most ransomware infections...the best solution for dealing with encrypted data is to restore from backups. These types of infections typically will delete all Shadow Volume Copies so that you cannot restore your files via System Restore, native Windows Previous Versions or using a program like Shadow Explorer. But it never hurts to try in case the malware did not do what it was supposed to do...it is not uncommon for ransomware infections to sometimes fail to properly delete Shadow Volume Copies. In some cases the use of file recovery software such as R-Studio or Photorec may be helpful to recover some of your original files but there is no guarantee that will work...again it never hurts to try.

If that is not a viable option and there is no decryption fix tool, the only other alternative is to backup/save your data as is and wait for a possible breakthrough...meaning, what seems like an impossibility at the moment (decryption of your data), there is always hope someday there may be a potential solution so save the encrypted data and wait until that time. Imaging the drive backs up everything related to the infection including encrypted files, ransom notes and registry entries containing possible information which may be needed if a solution is ever discovered. The encrypted files do not contain malicious code so they are safe. Even if a decryption tool is available, there is no guarantee it will work properly or that the malware developer will not release a new variant to defeat the efforts of security researchers so keeping a backup of the original encrypted files and related information is a good practice.

Since the infection has been identified, rather than have everyone with individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any more questions, comments or requests for assistance in the support topic discussion.To avoid unnecessary confusion, this topic is closed.

Thanks
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users